Stupid XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

When I log turn off my computer it goes into the "Windows is turning off now" and stays there forever it never actually turns off. I have no spyware or viruses, I have all my firewalls up, I did checkdisk and defrag everything is running smooth. No hardware changes and no new software either. Thoughts?

Sit with it and try to see which process is giving the problems. Usually watching you taskbar would help, you might want to turn auto-hide on that way once you maximise your taskbar every time a program closes it will hide all the remaining icons again. Also contiously check which processes are closed via you Task Manager.

I am not sure how much help this advice is, I have found one or two problems with it, but it may just have been me.

repair your os dude. just insert the xp cd and reinstall it. dont reformat just reinstall your windows xp. maybe this will help you....

some software will not shutdown properly
what ever you have that auto runs like normal
before you shut down shut them off, do this one at a time untill, you find the one causing the hang
on 1 fo my clients machines it was adaware popup blocker not shuting off

If, I repeat if, your problem is indeed that a program or programs are not shutting down, go to Microsoft downloads and download and install the service "uphclean.exe" (User Profile Hive Cleaner). This will shut down straggler programs. Try it and see if it helps. It is a service I believe you should have on your system in any event, so there is nothing to lose in trying it. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back