Sudden crashes while playing games...overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've recently upgraded my computer, here's the current spec:

CPU : Intel Core2Duo E6850 3.0GHz

Motherboard : Intel Classic Series DG31PR

RAM : Kingston 2GB 667MHz

HDD : 160GB

Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

PSU : 450W

Everything's fine except when I play games like NeverwinterNights 2 and Half-Life 2: Lost Coast. The computer suddenly hangs and the screen blanks out after about 5-6 minutes everytime I play those games. The computer cannot reset, I have to manually turn off the power and turn on again to restart. What is the problem? My friend says it could be overheating. My idle computer temperature is around 66-69C. Is this normal? If not, what should I do?

Thanks

I think the temp is too high and while you play games it will raise. did you also upgrade the cpu fan? Idle temp for intels should be 40 to 45 C.
check heat transfer paste, fan, maybe the psu gets too hot and warms up the whole desktop?

sorry, i'm not good at checking my pc. What's a heat transfer paste? How do I check them?

I have a case fan installed. And the cpu fan came with the cpu I bought. What kind of fan should I get to lower the temperature?

heat transfer paste is a paste (like toothpaste) which comes between the cpu and the radiador where the fan sits on top of and it transfers the cpu heat to the radiador. well it sounds like your cpu came boxed with all radiador and fan were put together already?
did you overclock your cpu or something?

Are all your case fans running? How many case fans do you have? Is your vid card's fan running? When you upgraded to your new vid card did you block any air flow?

That is way too hot temperature wise.

as Route44 says it could be that something blocks the air flow or one or more fans do not work correct. does your video card have a separate power connector and is it plugged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back