Surface Pro 4 may have ultra-thin bezels that change size

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft is hosting a Windows 10 hardware event next Tuesday in New York City where most believe the company will unveil the successor to its Surface Pro 3 tablet.

New rumors ahead of the event claim the Surface Pro 4 will feature an ultra-thin bezel akin to that of Dell’s XPS 13 notebook. In fact, the bezel may be so thin that it’d almost be non-existent on the top and sides, suggesting the dedicated Windows button may either return to the bottom of the device or be removed entirely.

Best yet, the Surface Pro 4 is rumored to utilize a “smart frame” feature that would allow the device to change the size of its bezel depending on what mode it’s being used in (tablet or desktop). In desktop mode, the user would have around 13 inches of screen real estate; when switched to tablet mode, the bezel would shrink by an inch to give users’ something to hold onto.

As WinBeta points out, the rumor may be a little far-fetched. The smart frame feature, which sounds immensely cool, could be rather difficult to pull off from an engineering standpoint. It’s not impossible, mind you, but it would be a challenge to do in software without feeling like a gimmick.

Either way, we should know more come next Tuesday.

Permalink to story.

Give us a bezel-free laptop, and I will give you my almost-honest-earned money, fair and square.

Bezel free is pointless for a tablet. It sure looks pretty, and I guess you could claim it gives you more screen space but in the end you could just make the device a little bigger. Honestly until they figure out a way to ignore grip touch inputs thin or bezeless tablets just will be a disappointment as far as I'm concerned.

Clearly what happens is part of the border becomes inactive when used in tablet mode, it's not that hard to understand,

Bezel free is pointless for a tablet. It sure looks pretty, and I guess you could claim it gives you more screen space but in the end you could just make the device a little bigger. Honestly until they figure out a way to ignore grip touch inputs thin or bezeless tablets just will be a disappointment as far as I'm concerned.

Clearly you misunderstood the functionality of this idea.

Back