Survey: Apple first in mobile OS brand loyalty, Microsoft last

Emil

Staff

Smartphone manufacturers are going to have to fight hard to keep their customers; 75 percent of smartphone owners surveyed by German marketing company GfK say they may switch to another operating system when they buy their next phone. The survey was conducted in October and November among 2,653 mobile phone users in Brazil, Germany, Spain, Britain, the US, and China. GfK also found that 37 percent of feature phone owners plan to upgrade to a smartphone when they buy their next phone.

"Loyalty with a handset is a lot more complicated these days in that people buy into experiences at the high-end level," Ryan Garner, an analyst with GfK, told Reuters. "If a phone doesn't do what it says it will do or what the owner hopes it will do, the maker will lose loyalty."

The iPhone had the highest loyalty, with 59 percent of respondents saying they were sticking with Apple's iOS. Research in Motion's BlackBerry was second at 35 percent, Google's Android was third at 28 percent, and Nokia's Symbian was fourth at 24 percent. Owners of smartphones running Microsoft software were the least loyal in GfK's survey, with only 21 percent saying they would stick to the platform. This is not too surprising given that Microsoft has only just reset its mobile OS platform from Windows Mobile to Windows Phone.

Permalink to story.

Further proof that Appletistas are more like cultists then Techies.

Sadly, after 10 years, i will be switching from Nokia to Apple.

Sorry Nokia, but Apple products ... just work so much better.

not true...apple is full of issues and bad design. Just because it is pretty does not mean good design. That is a fallacy that most people make.

matrix86 said:
lawfer said:
Guest said:
Further proof that Appletistas are more like cultists then Techies.

Then? I don't want to act like grammar police, but come on.

Sadly a VERY common mistake. Gotta love the Amercian Education System, lol.
Actually, I would blame the internet on that one, regardless of location or language. I've seen perfectly reasonable people just butcher things when they are online, ESPECIALLY when they are on a forum or news site. Something about commenting on something where many MANY people may potentially read just screams typos and bad grammar. See: every site that happens to have a much exercised comment system.

Also, Amercian? There is something called automatic spell check. It comes with Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and can be added to Internet Explorer. =p

That being said, I am glad that the article mentions that Microsoft is in the middle of a major Operating system change over. Whether it will make a difference and boost brand loyalty will be seen in the future. =o

Guest ; not true...apple is full of issues and bad design. Just because it is pretty does not mean good design. That is a fallacy that most people make.

Not true. We have two iphones in our family, and there are no issues. Stop being an apple hater.

"not true...apple is full of issues and bad design. Just because it is pretty does not mean good design. That is a fallacy that most people make. "

Yeah you've never owned an Iphone have you? I own several and I wouldnt choose anything else...

Anyone who says the iphone has "no flaws" obviously is blind as Apple has either told them "they're holding it wrong" or something equally Silly.

I Also own an iPhone 3GS and they aren't as flawed as others say but they definately have flaws.

Anyway, back to the subject, I believe its not just loyality, its the Apps you purchase.

I have bought the TomTom App for my iPhone, it cost me £55. Would I now switch to a different OS?

Of course not! I think this is my main reason I don't think I could leave apple, because I've spent soo much on the Apps which would be worthless the moment I change OS.

Why would you need a TomTom App with Android OS? Google maps and navigation is free and is constantly updated for free. My DroidX is better than any GPS unit I have ever owned and I travel a lot for business.

iPhones GPS system is free and it works just fine when you are driving. I dont get it why people pay money for such apps.

P.S.

Every Cell Phone has its own flaws/issues.

The app on Android is crap! I've tried using it on a Google Nexus and its simply not that user friendly plus does annoying things like close when someone calls or you have to flick to switch song etc...

The inbuilt iPhone is even worse! its practically unuseable, you have to click a "next" button to see the next move and is slow to update and seems to have no signal compensation so the moment you go under a tree it just stops dead.

They are both dreadful, I seriously recommend everyone to at least try the TomTom app.
It has lane guidence, it talks to you properly and is actually helpful, signal loss compensation and the maps are in built so no need to actually download any on the fly, this is extremely helpful when in the country side and signal is sparse.

You can also play music at the same time and will dim music automatically when it speaks or if someone calls. It will continue running in the background and still talk and update if you have a newer iPhone so you can multitask.

It will alert you when a speed camera is coming up, it will alert you of the speed limit on a given road and can even update itself to avoid traffic! you can even have yoda as a voice!

Seriously, its the best App I have ever bought and well worth £55 when you consider a dedicated TomTom would set you back £130+ and thats without advanced lane guidence and music playing etc... and Maps for only the UK!

Its actually a very good deal.

Why would you need a TomTom App with Android OS? Google maps and navigation is free and is constantly updated for free. My DroidX is better than any GPS unit I have ever owned and I travel a lot for business.
I can't speak for car GPS units, but for a handheld unit I'd put a Garmin 60CSx up against your phone's GPS any day, and the 60CSx is many years old now. The newer Garmin handhelds are probably even better.

NAVIGON MobileNavigator, has the highest rating over TomTom App, or any iPhone GPS App.

Back