Survey data suggests buyers are opting for the iPhone 7, not the new iPhone 8

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple’s annual marketing push for its latest iPhone is in full swing but according to one analyst, the new iPhone 8 has taken a back seat to last year’s model.

John Vinh from KeyBanc Capital Markets said in a recent client note that survey data indicates that a “meaningful” portion of customers are buying last year’s iPhone 7 in lieu of the new iPhone 8.

The iPhone 7 starts at $549 while the newer iPhone 8 carries an entry price of $699.

Reuters notes that just last week, AT&T said its third-quarter postpaid handset upgrades were down by nearly 900,000 compared to a year ago.

According to Vinh, feedback from stores indicated that some customers were holding out to purchase the iPhone X while others were waiting for Apple’s flagship to arrive in order to compare it with other models before making a decision.

The iPhone X, which starts at $999, goes on sale November 3 with pre-orders opening on October 27. If rumors prove accurate, the phone will be in extremely short supply, perhaps through the entire holiday season and beyond.

Apple finds itself in a unique albeit predictable predicament this holiday season.

The iPhone 8 only affords a handful of improvements over last year’s model and could just have easily (and perhaps should have) carried an “S” moniker. Further complicating things is the iPhone X, a new flagship that launches about a month and a half after the iPhone 8. This splits potential buyers into two groups and, assuming inventory is indeed low, could force some hopefuls to either settle for the iPhone 8 or look to other handset makers.

Lead image via James Martin, CNET

Permalink to story.

I believe the 6S is even a better choice, both money-wise and in terms of the features:

- physical button instead of the taptic one
- standard 3.5mm headphone jack
- metallic rear instead of the glass

I believe the 6S is even a better choice, both money-wise and in terms of the features:

im thinking of opting for the SE myself, which is basically the 6s in a 5s shell/screen. Taptic button on 7 forward is mildly infuriating.

The only problem with an older model phone is you'll get fewer years of security updates.

The only problem with an older model phone is you'll get fewer years of security updates.
I don't see that as a "problem" but rather just simply not being a benefit.

im thinking of opting for the SE myself, which is basically the 6s in a 5s shell/screen. Taptic button on 7 forward is mildly infuriating.

Honestly you get used to the Taptic button, I thought it was weird, after using it after a while it feels weird to use the old fashioned button especially if it's too old. The only thing that doesn't work well is pressing the button on the phone sitting on a solid object such as a table, then you can actually feel there's nothing to click.

I'm very satisfied with my iPhone 7 Plus, if it was just a bit smaller it would be perfect (lots of Bezels!)

I was disgusted with the newest Apple Device, I was really hoping for it to wow me but again I was let down by Apples lack of innovation. So I moved to the Note 8 and I dont regret it.

Back