Survival horror game 'The Evil Within' gets August 2014 release date

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Bethesda’s promising survival horror game The Evil Within will arrive on August 26 for those in North America and on August 29 in Europe, the publisher revealed today. The latest from Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami will be available on PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, we’re told.

Gamers will play the role of Detective Sebastian Castellanos as he investigates a mass-murder crime scene at an asylum. This is where the journey begins and life goes from normal to hellish in the blink of an eye. Players will need to hoard resources and use extreme caution as they fight to stay alive and figure out what is going on.

We still don’t have a ton of information to go on but according to Bethesda’s website, the game embodies the meaning of pure survival horror with highly-crafted environments, horrifying anxiety and an intricate story that creates an immersive world that will bring players to the height of tension.

The game represents the homecoming for Mikami, dubbed by many as the father of survival horror. It’s being developed at Tango Gameworks which is the studio Mikami founded in Tokyo in March 2010. It was then acquired by ZeniMax Media, Bethesda’s parent company, later that year.

I haven’t been big on survival horror games since the original Resident Evil scared the wits out of me way back in 1996. But there’s something compelling about The Evil Within that I feel like I should check out. How about you – are you planning to pick up the game this summer?

Permalink to story.

I'm interested to see what the gameplay will be like. Is it a 3rd/1st person shooter?

Heard about this game a couple months ago and it sparked an interest. This is one purchase that I will be making when it is released. Just hope that it isn't a flop, like some of the previous survival horror games I've played in the past.

Back