Status
Not open for further replies.
System specs:

Pentium 4 2.4ghz
1 gig of ram
400gb hard drive
Geforce 7600 gs gfx card
Haugpaugh tv tuner

Now, this problem isn't a huge one, but it's troublesome. A couple a months ago I encountered a pretty nasty surge that stopped it from even turning on. Swapped the motherboard and it seemed fine, but would always freeze up when I tried to install the operating system. I swapped out the power supply and it went past that, and even allowed me to do most tasks without problem.

Now I've come to a different problem. Anytime I'm doing something that this computer should be able to handle, without any warning, or even lag it'll completely freeze. The list includes watching tv from my tv tuner. Playing wow(In even low populated places!), watching dvds, and even while running neorage :(.

It goes without saying that I'm very disappointed with the performance of this pc. Now I've tested the hard drive, no bad sectors. Tested the memory, good. New graphics card...new tv tuner...new motherboard...new power supply. I think the only thing left that could be causing this failure is the processor. I've been running a stress test on it for about 2 hours, but all its doing is iterations. So far it says '5520000 iterations complete'

Now...if it is the cpu...I'll be pretty ticked off...this motherboard cost me about $80...so if it is the processor, should I just get a new mobo+cpu combo? Any advice on how to further diagnose this pc, or even advice on future purchases is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Computer froze at 9805000 iterations

What are your temperatures like? Could be CPU throttling as the processor gets too hot.

Its running at about 35 on idle and about 45 when I'm trying to do things like play a game or a video clip. Any way to test the processor without having to find a p4 laying around somewhere?

Edit: Just froze again, I did manage to have a monitor running when it happened. I was transferring files from an external HD, and this was what the monitor told me

CPU usage:99.5%
HD temp:35c
Core temp:44c

any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back