Swatch smartwatch will support mobile payments, multiple platforms and won't require charging

Shawn Knight

Staff member

swatch windows android nfc battery watch swiss smartwatch smart watch wrist watch apple watch swiss watch recharging

Swiss watch maker Swatch is planning to launch a smartwatch within the next few months as it prepares to do battle with Apple, Samsung, Microsoft and a host of others in the emerging wearables industry.

In a recent interview with Bloomberg, Swatch CEO Nick Hayek said the device will communicate via NFC and will be compatible with both Android and Windows software. Interestingly enough, he added that the wearable won’t need to be charged.

Hayek’s decision to enter the smartwatch race comes after years of dismissing the industry as little more than a fad. As the publication notes, he has voiced concerns that watch screens are too small to be used as an effective means of communication. The executive has also questioned the need for charging, an issue that several early adopters contend with.

swatch windows android nfc battery watch swiss smartwatch smart watch wrist watch apple watch swiss watch recharging

At one point, Hayek even said his company’s luxury lines are smartwatches because they make the wearer look smart.

Swatch has more than 30 years of experience under its belt in addition to a host of patent applications. In fact, the company said its patent applications reached a record last year which will be reflected in multiple product launches across all segments this year.

Perhaps most intriguing is Swatch’s claim that its smartwatch won’t need to be charged. If they’ve indeed somehow managed to revolutionize battery technology, similar solutions from the competition won’t be too far behind.

Permalink to story.

I laughed my butticks out when I heard him calling smartwatch a fad, not because it is or isn't, but when quartz came into the clock industry, swiss watchmakers refused to accept it and almost went into oblivion.

I laughed my butticks out when I heard him calling smartwatch a fad, not because it is or isn't, but when quartz came into the clock industry, swiss watchmakers refused to accept it and almost went into oblivion.

Smartwatches are about as much a fad as smartphones. They won't replace mechanical timepieces, but I don't see how, given the decreasing cost of the technology, any executive or analyst worth his salt can't see these replacing digital watches in the coming years.

If that's a pic of their upcoming smartwatch then it is by far the best looking device ever conceived. If all smartwatches start looking like that, offer more functionality and drop in price then even I'd start taking the fad seriously.
I think that's just a normal watch though, it'll probably be a while before smartwatches look this good.

If that's a pic of their upcoming smartwatch then it is by far the best looking device ever conceived. If all smartwatches start looking like that, offer more functionality and drop in price then even I'd start taking the fad seriously.
I think that's just a normal watch though, it'll probably be a while before smartwatches look this good.

Not even close to my Titanium Omega Seamaster. Not even close.

ugly watch is ugly

ugly watch is ugly

Give the guy a break. Not everyone can afford a Yacht-Master.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think the Motorola & the LG watches look nice. While they may look slightly better than most smartwatches they still have Mount Everest to climb in terms of looks and functionality.

Last edited:
There are a couple of watches I've heard of that had "smart" capabilities with the look of a regular watch, albeit just a notification and not full text and pictures like the ones from the big manufacturers. Here's one: http://cogitowatch.com/classic.html

I've also wondered if it would be possible to add a device like the self-winding mechanism my automatic watches have but instead of winding a spring maybe spinning like an alternator?

There are a couple of watches I've heard of that had "smart" capabilities with the look of a regular watch, albeit just a notification and not full text and pictures like the ones from the big manufacturers. Here's one: http://cogitowatch.com/classic.html

Boy that IS an ugly timepiece, definitely no craftsmanship at the entry level.

I've also wondered if it would be possible to add a device like the self-winding mechanism my automatic watches have but instead of winding a spring maybe spinning like an alternator?

There are issues with the magnetic fields interfering with the movement as you would expect. Although this could be overcome in the future, as the amount of energy required to drive the functions decreases so in turn would the generation aspect and therefore the electromagnetic fields (which metal components conduct quite well).

Here is another watch with smart capabilities AND has gorgeous craftsmanship too, related to the Kairos T-band which -click here- is a suitable replacement band for ANY current timepiece you may be wearing / own / have sitting around gathering dust. :p

It is however in pre-order :'( here at www.kairoswatches.com

Back