Sys info

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhawk

back in the good old amiga days there used to be a very useful little program called sysinfo which showed everything that going on and had gone on in the computer

is there a pc equivalent?

Unfortunately as computers have gotten more sophisticated and complicated and taken on more and more tasks, there are multiple places or ways one has to go to to obtain such information instead of just one. Of course you have your system and device manager in control panel. You have Belarc Advisor, Everest, or Aida32 to get additional system info, you have event viewer and autoruns to have to look through, and so on, and so on. Maybe someone will consolidate all of this in one place--if enough people ask for it and if someone sees money in it. Best to you...

Lots of good programs such as Spotmau, though they are not cheap at $49... then you can learn all the windows commands that you can put into action with the RUN command.
You also have BIOS components you didn't have with the Amiga which tell you a lot more; Event Viewer; Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Event viewer for Application Data, Security, and System; Display tools, and the amazing Device Manager which gives you several clues... and so many other tools in the Control Panel that overwhelm anything that SysInfo could do... what is more, they are accurate which SysInfo never really was.

thank you very much indeed: everest seems simple and clear enough for a ***** like myself, though lord knows if i will ever really undestand it - a small supplementary if i may; am i right in thinking that registry booster or speed up type programs probably do more harm than good?

While there are generally 2 schools of thought on whether registry tools/cleaners are a benefit or a detriment, one thing that they do agree on is that extreme care should be taken when working in the registry and should only be done by someone who knows what they are doing and "ALWAYS BACKUP THE REGISTRY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING IN OR MAKING CHANGES TO THE REGISTRY". So your question about the registry programs doing harm or good is certainly consistent with the 2 schools mentioned above. At your own peril, practice what makes sense to you and read as much as you can before you attempt anything to do with the registry I'd say. Myself I read up on things awhile and settled on using a little program called Advanced Windows Care and have been using it for over 2 years with no problems. It has a registry cleaner/tweak feature plus alot more of the general computer maintenance type utilities for which I am very satisfied with. I believe above all that everyone has to decide for themselves what makes sense to them and that they are comfortable with by keeping informed and aware to their systems uses and needs. There really is no substitute for being self reliant and informed. Best to you...

hank you, so you would recommend advanced windows care? did it make any noticeable difference? , one would have thought they did a back-up for you

Yessir, I would recommend Advance Windows Care, but again with the same precautions and advice, back-up the registry & do a restore point prior to using it, just in case. I did that before using it for the first time and still do via other programs that I run that offer a system snapshot and a registry backup with the program so I am covered there. Best to you...

..I've used AdvanceWC on 3 different puters,3 different OS,had no problems.Glary Utility also good.IMO

thank you again- out of interest: what other programsoffer a ststem snapshotand registry backup?

i know how to set a restore point but not a registry backup

Sorry it took me so long to get back. In answer to your question about "ststem snapshotand registry backup". Well my SpywareBlaster gives me a system snapshot and I can back up my registry via start>run>regedit then file pulldown and export a copy to somewhere in my drive under its own folder. Also my Spybot Search and Destroy allowed me to dave a copy of my registry. Best to you all...

Both of the programs I mentioned above, SpywareBlaster and Spybot Search and Destroy, are anti-spyware related and dedicated programs and play nice with all anti-virus programs that I know of, including Kapersky, They should not pose any conflict or problem to Kapersky since they go after different things and don't/shouldn't get in each others' way, I believe. By the way, how do you like Kapersky? Me, I'm a McAfee user for about 8 years now and have no complaints and it has not presented any conflicts with the varied programs that I run, so I've stayed with it. Best to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back