System Locks Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer locks up randomly. I could be playing a game or browsing.
When this first happened I was using win xp. At first everything ran smoothly for weeks on end no problems. Then it started crashing...... I upgraded to win 7 and it ran smoothly again for awhile... then it crashed yet again and it keeps doing it from the first time on... it also seems to be accuring more often over time.

I attached the dxdiag for those who want the specs...

The temps are great. I am stuck. Memory checked out okay.
Have not found any viruses using 3 different antiviruses to check. Norton, Avast, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    30.5 KB · Views: 5
Have not found any viruses using 3 different antiviruses to check. Norton, Avast, and Microsoft Security Essentials.
I don't really understand this part

Normally you just use one respected Antivirus software, if you installed Norton (paid product) then you need to run the Removal tool after you uninstall it

I'd suggest going through this guide: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

I prefer Free Avira as the only Antivirus installed

ummm ... one antivirus never gets all the viruses... u need at least 2 reliable ones and no im not removing the antivirus protection :) norton and Microsoft Sec. Exch. are enough :) Thanks though. I removed avast

Since Timonius said something I removed an extra hard drive and it seems to be working fine now. I will keep this updated. Next response should be in a week.

I think you have confused multiple Malware tools, like having Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware and many other types of programs like this, with multiple anti Virus removal tools.
When it comes to Virus only removal tools, you should have one only, otherwise you may get issues.
You should only be using one AntiVirus removal live protecting tool always (and no more)

I've been through many power supply units over the years. Most of them have failed due to age and wear (i almost never turn my computer off). The telling signs that I have experienced are video games crashing for no apparent reason and occassionally a reboot out of nowhere. I've never experienced a system freeze though (i guess results could depend on system hardware and configurations?). I only just recently learned that as a power supply ages it loses its capability to deliver the full advertised wattage. I'm glad to hear that removing the hard drive seems to be a solution. Keep us posted.

By the way it is only good to have one antivirus scanner installed and running on the system. Have more than one installed AND running can cause problems. However, it you have ONE installed and running it is okay to run other scanners via browser over the web (they are not actually running live on your system on a regular basis).

Since Timonius said something I removed an extra hard drive and it seems to be working fine now.
A faulty Power Supply (if its faulty) needs to be replaced. Not remove one device power load
When a Power Supply is faulty it is generally to do with power fluctuations above and below the tolerance level.
Removing one power source cannot fix this, although it just helps by placing less load on a Power Supply, it cannot fix it

Okay I only have MSE on now.. norton is a pain i did the removal. All of yesterday I was symptom free. Today I get on and it does it again although it took quite abit longer than usual too to freeze. It may have helped pinpoint it though.

Have you tried this method? Boot into safe mode (press f8 before windows starts). See if it locks up in safe mode, if it doesn't, its a virus and you need a better scanner. Though you tried 3 anti-virus software, but you'd better give this way a try for sure.

If it does. it's a windows error that can be solved by reloading windows! Generally speaking, windows errors cannot be repaired unless you are a Microsoft programmer! good luck!

Okay .... I reinstalled windows and replaced my old power supply... It still locks up and needs to be rebooted. Only locks up playing games and it doesnt matter what the intensity of the graphics are it seems. The three games its happened on are League of legends (DOTA GAME), Dragon Age: Origins, and CoD: Modern Warfare 2. After the crash the computer locks up during startup, sometimes before anything appears, sometimes during bios loading before POST. I have no idea what it could be other than motherboard or cpu atm... I thought drivers for the initial crash but what would cause the secondary crashes at startup. Also if the computer hasnt crashed and I shutdown and turn it back on I have no crashes at startup or anything. Any help is very much appreciated and I thank you for all your input :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back