System won't POST

So I do not typically post on forums but I have run into an issue that I am going to say is a bad motherboard, but it is acting so strangely that I figured I'd post it for reference.

I am currently running Asus M2N4-SLI with a 5000+ Amd 64 X2, I currently have it hooked up to a Zumax 400w with nothing else attached but a stick of ram... (this ram ran in the system before, I have 4 I have tried them all) also this system ran great a while back on a different PSU.

So at the beginning of my issues I found that the system lit up the power light but refused to boot. So I swapped to this PSU assuming that it may be the cause.

When I setup this PSU, it spun the CPU fan and Graphics Card fan but I could not get it to send an image. (hooked up speaker, No beep). Following that logic I removed graphics card, not response. Did another CMOS reset, no boot.... changed surge protector outlet it was plugged into and I got it to spin up again, but only once.

I thought that was odd, so I assumed I had a short in the case, swapped cases, ended up with just the motherboard light (not really helpful) and no other responses, so I got frustrated and left it alone... after 5 mins it spun up the fans but the power light went off..? (I didn't touch it, I was working on something else)

So Now. It wont turn on the power light but it does spin the fans up, (both the CPU and PSU fans) and does so when I hit the switch on the back of the PSU, I have the case switch unplugged and it doesnt do anything to turn off the system.

I assume this will be slightly confusing to most who read it...

Couple things I'd like to mention. To avoid wasting time
Nothing else is hooked up (no cards, no ide, no sata, or USB)
Cmos jumper is correct. (I checked... Twice)
Tried different mem slots, with different RAM
The odds of this PSU being bad is quite low, but possible... (I'll cry a little if it is).

Thanks,
Thysmith

The motherboard might be bad. You sound like you are knowledgeable about building computers with the troubleshooting steps you have taken so far

Back