TeamGroup will start selling DDR5-4800 in stores by the end of June

mongeese

Staff
Editor's take: TeamGroup is about to become the first manufacturer to bring DDR5 to market en masse. Whether that’s an achievement or not is up for debate, because it’s going to be a few months before Intel or AMD release a platform capable of running DDR5. Nevertheless, it’s pretty cool.

TeamGroup’s first DDR5 kit contains two 16 GB sticks of DDR5-4800. They run with CL40-40-40-77 timings, sip 1.1 V, and are rated for 38.4 GB/s of bandwidth. By the end of the month or the start of the next, the kit will launch as "Elite U-DIMM DDR5" on Amazon, Amazon Japan, Newegg, and with a few unnamed European retailers. Its MSRP: $400.

You definitely shouldn’t buy it, at least not right away. Even TeamGroup recommends acquiring an Intel 600-series motherboard first, which implies waiting for the release of Alder Lake later this year. But it also isn’t automatically the best memory on the market just because it is DDR5.

DDR4-4800 kits are readily available at about the same price. And they’re faster, too, at least superficially: a cheap (relatively speaking) DDR4-4800 kit might have CL19-28-28-48 timings, while a fancy kit can go all the way down to CL17-19-19-39.

But raw performance was never the goal. TeamGroup’s first foray into DDR5 is just the base spec set by JEDEC. And compared to the DDR4 base spec, it’s miles better; more than twice as fast. When DDR4 launched, the first few kits weren’t superior to the top DDR3 modules, either.

There’s much more to a memory standard than just speed though. DDR5 has built-in on-die SEC ECC (single-error correction code) to reduce errors, a doubled burst length to improve bandwidth, and on-board voltage regulation to enable higher overclocks. SK Hynix has announced plans to overclock DDR5 to 8400 MHz.

Intel’s upcoming Alder Lake platform is expected to be the first to support DDR5 when it launches in late 2021, closely followed by AMD’s Zen 4. Presumably, TeamGroup will be facing some stiffer competition by then.

Permalink to story.

I never noticed the difference, performance wise, when I moved from DDR3 to DDR4. Only in the benchmarks the difference is noticeable.

I never noticed the difference, performance wise, when I moved from DDR3 to DDR4. Only in the benchmarks the difference is noticeable.
It's more important in productivity applications than gaming. It's mostly marketing for PC builders but it's cheaper to sell it to everyone than just the few people who need it. For example, it's cheaper to make 100million units for everyone instead of 50million for two different people. It also makes things easier for CPU makers and motherboard makers if everyone is on the same standard

It turns out that the on-die ECC in the memory is kinda worthless when compared to real ECC. it's mostly there so that they can increase yields (more normally bad dies pass the tests). It's such a disappointment :((

I just bought a GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER MOBO, I knew ddr5 was coming out soon but not this soon. I have more midrange rig anyway and memory has never been that much of a noticable difference for me. I have 3200 MHz that I was able to tweak up to 3600MHz and did not notice the difference unless like Geralt says about using benchmark software you can see some difference. I'm sure after it comes out and is more main streamed I'll want it.

You can get a decent DDR4 32GB today for about $150. And they want $400, plus for something that doesn't exist yet? They are nuts.

The next thing you'll be telling us is that, "Team Group", is top shelf merchandise.

For me, (and obviously IMHO), it's crap that I wouldn't touch with your ten foot pole, and yes, that's even when Newegg is blowing it out.

But yes, I.m cheap enough to be tempted by the price. However, I go straight to Newegg's store brand memory, "Gskill", and I haven't had a bad stick, or a failed to boot, in any of the 5 machines in which have it installed.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, this will age as well as ddr4 2133/2400MHz so, $10 for 8gb...if anyone even wants it.

Why not add a translation chip so it can run on DDR4 systems? Oh right, that's as dumb as having a product that can't be used!

Back