Tech Tip of the Week: How Small is 32 Nanometers?

Julio Franco

Staff member
Earlier this year Intel made a big splash with a new generation of Core i3 and Core i5 processors using the uber small 32 nanometer manufacturing process. Although this is eventually going to get dumped as ancient technology for an even smaller and more efficient way to produce chips, today it's state of the art.

This week's tip: How Small is 32 Nanometers?
https://www.techspot.com/guides/251-how-small-is-32nm/

They forgot too add the size of an atom! The size of an atom is averagely 0.25 nm, and wires consisting of atom are really hard to produce and the normal laws of resistance don't apply with those. If Moore's law is every two years the size of the transistor halves, and we assume we won't be able to make stable wires which are thinner than 4 atoms(which is likely) it won't apply in 2022.

I love seeing stuff like this - taking measurements of one sort of the other and putting it into a perspective anyone can understand. Amazing....

Damn slacking space industry.. if only they had kept up with their innovation like the rest of the technology sector!

Seriously? 4 Million transistors would fit into the period at the end of a sentence? I can hardly imagine 10 of anything fitting into a space that small. Let alone several Million! Wow.

Lol, Julio did copy all the facts off elsewhere (which was referenced in the article).

Should thank Intel instead :D

Anyways, I'm gonna go see how long it'll take me to flick that light switch....

We're getting modern and modern.. and technology gets more harder and harder. lol... 32 nanometers, 32*10^-9? Nice! I have to be a geek or a nerdy to be able to make core i3, what more if it's core i5...

It's pretty amazing how far this technology has come. Just trying to imagine some of these numbers give me a headache, I can't even begin to think about the technology 10 or 20 years from now.

My god, thats small! I doubt the whole period thing though considering im using an iphone at the moment. now if i zoom in... thats better :)

yes it's indeed quite small, I'm pretty sure, soon enough there's going to be super small camera and everything, technology is starting to scare me

It's pretty amazing how far this technology has come. Just trying to imagine some of these numbers give me a headache, I can't even begin to think about the technology 10 or 20 years from now.

I am from 9 years in the future. 7nm processors are commercially available on phones with 10x the transistors mentioned in the article. People use them to power Candy Crush.

Back