Tech Tip of the Week: Remove notification bar in AVG 8.5

OMG and you call that antivirus??? It cant even protect own ad banners!
how do you expect it to protect itself against viruses worms and malware???

When I was using AVG, that was the most annoying "feature" that I had to deal with on a day-to-day basis.

Guest, your argument isn't prudent... especially when you can get a cracked copy of Symantec or Mcafee via torrent... the software does what it's supposed to do; detects, alerts to, and removes viruses... it doesn't mean that the software itself can't be altered to work differently.

I personally use ClamWin... it's one of the better options, as it's small, less intrusive, simple to use, and not a resource hog.

Least resource intense and most reliable for me has been Avira, flawless for a year now...it does come with its own banner however.

Thanks. I would always just have it in the bottom right corner of my screen so the ad would be below the taskbar, but now I can have it anywhere.

Least resource intense and most reliable for me has been Avira, flawless for a year now...it does come with its own banner however.

avira is geat...yeah..now Make Avira AntiVir (Free Edition) More Usable

hXXp://www.tipsfor.us/2007/08/15/make-avira-antivir-free-edition-more-usable/

change xx for TT

I have not tried any of the above, but I have been particularly happy with Avast AntiVirus and SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition. Any adverse comments??

Oh yeah. It is permissions systems, which makes this or that "vulnerable"; such system is part and parcel of any OS.
Dear Guest must understand, that all security and protection are relative things in any OS. Just some OS's are designed with better protection in view -- such as UNIX OS's.

But in OS Windows having anti-virus is still better, than NOT having it.

Thanks so much that notification was getting on my nerves thanks a million

Have tried to follow your advice above and after upgrading an Italian version of AVG free 8.5 to AVG free 9.0 changed the filenames as follows:

avgfree_us.mht > avgfree_it.mht.bak
avgmwdef_us.mht > avgmwdef_it.mht.bak
avgresf.dll > avgresf.dll.bak

but still have these full page ads popping up in the Explorer.
Any advice what to do further?

This walk around has worked forever, but does not seem to work anymore with the latest update of AVG free version 9.0.733 and other suggestions ????

I too have recently been having this issue, now the notification banner are showing up again, any solutions yet

i did this in my pc (avg 9),
- close the avg gui window
- create new folder
- move avgresf.dll and *.mht to the new folder
- done.

I agree with the guest, I find the AVGRESF.dll but do not find the other file ,well I mean there a couple of MHT files but none of, AVGRESF.mht Please elaborate again thanks

i did this in my pc (avg 9),
- close the avg gui window
- create new folder
- move avgresf.dll and *.mht to the new folder
- done.

It seems there has been an update that "fixes" the work around. I ran the batch file, restarted windows, but still, the banner remains, what a bummer!

Yes I agree I guess we wait till someone comes out with a work around !!

This tip was recently revisited. I used Windows 7 Ultimate for testing, and the described method works fine for the latest version of AVG.

Does this stop the AVG program from trying to log-on to the internet on start-up. I cancel the process but it slows down my shut down process (halt on Blue Screen before shut down for up to five minutes....shuts down eventually so not a problem - in XP)?

Nope. I haven't experienced any of that in testing. To confirm, I just tested it again in XP Pro with no problems updating etc.

Tried the .bat files on AVG Free V9.08. They didn't cure the malware (Yes the frigging popup IS malware: Its the kind of thing we're trying to prevent!)

Had a look in the .bat files and they were only renaming the avgfree_xx.mht (xx depends on the language)

With AVG free there are a load more .mht files.

mht files can be opened with Opera so I had a look. *_All_* the .mht files are adverts.

I renamed all the .mht files to .mht.bak

Still kept getting ads.

Finally I also renamed the file AVGRESF.dll to AVGRESF.dll.bak

I can confirm this works with AVG Free 9.08 under WinXP Home

SUMMARY

1: Close the AVG Interface window if it's open

2: Rename ALL the ,mht files to .mht.bak

3: Rename avgresf.dll to avgresf.dll.bak

Back