TechSpot PC Buying Guide: H1 2022

I would have to offer a very mild push back on the value gamer rig: While the 3050 can be had for around 380 or so at least some of the times, the 6600 can usually be found for just 20 bucks more. So even without access to DLSS 2.0 (Which is being alleviated more and more everyday with FSR 1.0 and soon 2.0) It's still like 15 to 20% more performance for what, 5% more money upfront and sometimes the same price tag?

Past that point however I recently made an argument about how I would rather have a 3060 instead of a 6600 xt even though the AMD card wins most test the 3060 isn't as far behind. The 3050 is just not a good card at the current pricing it needs to reach 6500 xt level prices of under 200 before it becomes a really good value proposition but right now, I don't think anybody should be buying a 3050 over a 6600.

I would have to offer a very mild push back on the value gamer rig: While the 3050 can be had for around 380 or so at least some of the times, the 6600 can usually be found for just 20 bucks more. So even without access to DLSS 2.0 (Which is being alleviated more and more everyday with FSR 1.0 and soon 2.0) It's still like 15 to 20% more performance for what, 5% more money upfront and sometimes the same price tag?
This paragraph is exactly what the article says: "At its MSRP, Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3050 would be the cheapest GPU we'd recommend buying new... If you don't want to wait, AMD's Radeon RX 6600 is currently available for about $400, just like the RTX 3050."

This paragraph is exactly what the article says: "At its MSRP, Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3050 would be the cheapest GPU we'd recommend buying new... If you don't want to wait, AMD's Radeon RX 6600 is currently available for about $400, just like the RTX 3050."
Sorry but MSRP is meaningless for articles that get periodically updated: if Techspot acknowledges this by having pricing updates constantly I think you should also reflect this on this build and suggestion guides.

It's not that I don't understand what you're doing, I just disagree with just waving this away by saying "MSRP"

Since rumors claim the RTX 4000 demands a PSU that could run my electric oven, I'll wait to build my next PC.

Definitely gonna go state of the art on everything. 1000W PSU to start... DDR5 motherboard...Intel generation 13 or 14 and of course, the RTX 4090

That should run DCS: World quiet well Muhahahahah

Surprised that there are no mention of AIO water coolers here. Are the Air coolers that much better considering the noise fans create. Haven't had a air cooling in my rigs for a while so I am a bit out of touch.

Surprised that there are no mention of AIO water coolers here. Are the Air coolers that much better considering the noise fans create. Haven't had a air cooling in my rigs for a while so I am a bit out of touch.

Don't the water coolers have fans as well (and pumps that also make noise)? It has been my experience that some of the air coolers (Noctua) are actually quieter than some of the water coolers.

Don't the water coolers have fans as well (and pumps that also make noise)? It has been my experience that some of the air coolers (Noctua) are actually quieter than some of the water coolers.
Could very well be. I haven't used a air cooler in the past 6-7 years. They do use fans for the radiators and I barely hear my fans on. The only reason why I know my computer is on when I'm not sitting in front if it is the LED's lol. But I am in need of a new build so I'm considering going back to air cooling, hence my question.

Liquid coolers are a good solution when the case doesn't have the space for a large air cooler, or doesn't allow much airflow near the CPU, but for most people an air cooler will be a better purchase in the long term. We covered the topic in another article: https://www.techspot.com/bestof/cooling/

Nice choices with a good selection of quality hardware. But THE HUMBLE WORKSTATION? Not with a GeForce RTX 3080 inside! Not humble enough.

My 11400 + RX6700XT machine still holding strong enough for 1080p/144Hz. What I would have liked to expand is the RAM though. I have only 16Gb (2x8Gb) inherited from my old system Ryzen 2600 + RX580 which I built 4 years ago.

8700k with 2080 rtx 32 gb and 2 ssds why do I need to upgrade !? How many more fps will I get ?even as it is the only upgrade that counts is a GPU all the other stuff if your are gaming doesn't worth the money maybe in a couple of years for cpu and memory and it's a BIG MAYBE !! Can anyone tell me how many FPS more will I get if I change my cpu,memory and ...and..;;; ooo nothing or what 10-15 fps ??? Nothing there just GPU upgrade and that in 10 months from now !!

The 3090tis are launching at $1999 shining a silver lining on anything at inflated prices with inferior performance will finally deflate muahahaha!
Gamers will have the last laugh!

Back