The best 24 port switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPCE_Larry

Hey i'm looking to find the best 1000mbit 24port switch. Pretty much all the one's I found on newegg had people complaining about breakdowns in the first year. What companies should I be looking at?

Cisco?

Really, first, define best. Second, everything breaks down - that's what you have warranties for. Third, get something with two or three years of warranty.

HPCE_Larry said:
Hey i'm looking to find the best 1000mbit 24port switch. Pretty much all the one's I found on newegg had people complaining about breakdowns in the first year. What companies should I be looking at?

CISCO CATALYST 3750 STACKABLE 24 PORT SWITCH You can stack them with a cable connected to each other so if one switch fails then other can keep going..

tipstir said:
CISCO CATALYST 3750 STACKABLE 24 PORT SWITCH You can stack them with a cable connected to each other so if one switch fails then other can keep going..
You would need double network cards in every machine plus driver support for interface bonding for automatic failover..

I can tell you not to get the Linksys 2024S (Cisco's budget line now that they've acquired them) - I have one and I'm taking this sucker back as soon as I get a replacement. It would probably help to know what kind of money you're willing to spend and where this switch will be. My biggest problem with the 2024 is noise.

Nodsu said:
You would need double network cards in every machine plus driver support for interface bonding for automatic failover..

Yes we had found out the hard way when one of these switches failed one night at 3am so the Senior Network Engineer had to get up out of bed and head over to solve the problem. We've been testing out Nortel Switches to see how they can withstand headed closets what have no cooling. So far to good.

TYCO has Smart Switch Monitor have you seen those? They have a 5th wire in the CAT 6 copper wires to used only for the Smart Switch Monitor. We had a TYCO Rep Vendor come in for a few hours to show off the goods. You would have one of these for every closet that could monitor 20 switches in the same closet. The cost for our client would be in the millions as we have over 20,000 switches on the campus. SSM could be use when one switch failed it could tell where that switch is by using location mapping by name and number. Sends out reports auto and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back