The Best Computer Mice: Best overall, best for gaming, wireless/portable & budget choices

Jos

Staff

We spend several hours a day interacting with computers so having the right tools at hand is serious business (see what I did there?). Deciding on the best mouse for you is a subjective process where several things come into play, such as intended use, feature set, price and how comfortable it feels in your hand and grip style.

Over the past few years we’ve tested many of the best mice on the market, and now we’re combining that experience with hundreds of professional reviews and customer feedback to bring you our picks for best overall mouse, best gaming mouse, best wireless & portable mouse, and a handful of budget picks.

Read on and check out the best mice on the market.

I like my G602, found the previous gen Logitech mice with rubberized sides like the M705 listed in the article get worn out long before the other parts of the mouse. I've now replaced the feet on a couple of logitech mice and it makes them glide like new. Been a big advocate of logitech wireless mice for years, and very impressed with the longevity of the G602 compared to previous laser tech models.

I've been sporting a Corsair Scimitar for a couple weeks now and I love it. My only two real criticisms are the side buttons, while being satisfyingly clicky, still feel mushy for the price point, and the DPI indicator light is always one solid color instead of being part of the RGB theme being used at the time. Still a fantastic mouse if you have use for the side buttons though.

"In terms of design, the DeathAdder is shaped to accommodate the curve of the hand and its body is a rubbery matte black plastic that’ll keep your hand from sweating."

I actually find the opposite to be true of this rubberized finish, at least for my hands, it has always been my gripe with this addition to all of Razer's mice, that and they don't seem to last like the old ones.

First Razer mouse ever purchased, limited edition DiamondBack Plasma, worked until it had it's cord chewed by a cat, fixed it, still worked afterwards, friend borrowed it, stepped on it and it died, this was almost 10 years of use and abuse.

Replaced it with an Imperator when that came out, that mouse had issues from day one, stopped being detected altogether just after the warranty expired, thanks Razer.

Tried again with the Taipan, due to the striking resemblance to the original DiamondBack I had, it works, but for whatever reason it has intermittent issues tracking for the first 5 or so minutes after starting up my PC, and occasionally at complete random.

Do I give Razer one last chance this holiday season and get the DeathAdder Chroma? Anyone else have any issues with either of the Razer mice I mentioned? I'm interested to see what others have experienced.

Edit: Naturally I go on Razer's site and find out they're bringing back the DiamondBack, at a more than ridiculous price for a 5 button mouse... I still want it.

Guess I'm just old fashioned because it doesn't matter if I'm gaming or doing more serious "work", the differences in the mouse just don't seem to that measurable for me. They all work pretty good and a LOT better than the first one I had, carved out of an old block of wood with the x & y axis run by little wheels that would easily break with too much pressure ..... LOL

I'm using the G502 on both of my PCs and find it to be comfortable and solid. The software is pretty good too (especially since I'm also using Logitech's G910 keyboard).

I see Adhmuz complaining again >< hehe. I like my DeathAdder, it was big enough for the palm of my hand, my Logitech G602 felt smaller and at first I was like uh oh. but wow do I love my new wireless mouse.
And the great thing about being old, is I never suffer from input lag, as it just matches my brains slow speed.
It glides effortlessly over my Roccat Gaming pad which is metal.
The feet on my Deathadder have either worn down over the year or 3 I have had it or, the metal ring that surrounds the sensor has always jutted out slightly scrapping along it and I just never cared to notice. Until I got the new mouse last week.
So while I like the size of the Razer, yet hate the look of how cheap its products look, I will agree with Adhmuz this time.
But seriously their peripherals look so freakin tacky, don't understand the Razer love...never have.

"In terms of design, the DeathAdder is shaped to accommodate the curve of the hand and its body is a rubbery matte black plastic that’ll keep your hand from sweating."

I actually find the opposite to be true of this rubberized finish, at least for my hands, it has always been my gripe with this addition to all of Razer's mice, that and they don't seem to last like the old ones.

First Razer mouse ever purchased, limited edition DiamondBack Plasma, worked until it had it's cord chewed by a cat, fixed it, still worked afterwards, friend borrowed it, stepped on it and it died, this was almost 10 years of use and abuse.

Replaced it with an Imperator when that came out, that mouse had issues from day one, stopped being detected altogether just after the warranty expired, thanks Razer.

Tried again with the Taipan, due to the striking resemblance to the original DiamondBack I had, it works, but for whatever reason it has intermittent issues tracking for the first 5 or so minutes after starting up my PC, and occasionally at complete random.

Do I give Razer one last chance this holiday season and get the DeathAdder Chroma? Anyone else have any issues with either of the Razer mice I mentioned? I'm interested to see what others have experienced.

Edit: Naturally I go on Razer's site and find out they're bringing back the DiamondBack, at a more than ridiculous price for a 5 button mouse... I still want it.

I'd recommend you stay away from Razor. The number of complaints I get with my clients doesn't stem from the computer parts they bought but the mouse they choose. There's a good 10% failure rate with razor mice within the first month and 50% within the first year.

I'd highly recommend Logitech instead. Not only are their products of higher quality but they back their products with a much better warranty. They'll send a replacement mouse to you so you don't have to wait and send in your broken one first.

I use a G400s. Great for gaming and great for everyday use. Fits well enough for a larger hand and contours nicely. Comfort + performance + inexpensive = win.

Wow. I have to say I disagree with everything here. I use the Roccat Kone Pure, where its pretty much soft touch everywhere. Its light weight, accuracy and feel when holding it with a palm grib, its smooth in every way. I was looking for a replacement for my Logitech G5/500 and was just gonna buy another one. But after looking at reviews on youtube I took the hit and Bought a Kone Pure. It was a pretty enlightening moment coming from a guy who mostly bought logitech mice. The Roaccat Kone Pure is a step above anything Logitech has made in the last 4 years. The only logitech mice I haven't tried would be any that have released in 2015.

Probably as I've gotten older my tastes have changed. I seem to prefer minimal designs now, whether its computer cases, mice, gaming/office layout, etc. You would think I would be all over the Razer DeathAdder, but almost every Razer product has poor build quality, I've just stopped buying their stuff. Couple of times I've gotten really close to buying one of their Keyboards, but I went with a Das Keyboard instead, And might be going with a Ducky Shine 5 soon.

Anyway, the Kone Pure I have now is I think almost 2 years old or getting close. I also bought 2 other mice for my friends and they have all been flawless. No flaws ever. Actually I remember there was a driver conflict on a computer that was using a Steelseries Siberia V2. At startup the Roccat Kone pure would stop working when the Steelseries drivers would load. Unplugging the Steelseries headphones and plugging them back in fixed everything.

I've had a G502 Proteus Core for over a year now and before that had a DeathAdder for nearly 5 years. The DeathAdder was more comfortable and easier to use/setup.
The Proteus Core has superior accuracy and features but takes a user with some knowledge to get tuned in correctly, the weights are a big help too.

People who ***** about Razer are usually doing it just to *****, I've had a DeathAdder and still use a BlackWidow Ultimate and the build quality/reliability is good on both. But I take care of my things, some people expect Pizza grease and a few good slams on the desk to be a test for a mouse's strength.

Once you guys use a MAD CATZ R.A.T.9 mouse, you'll think every mouse in this list is sub-par.
For those that that do MMO gaming, MAD CATZ M.M.O.7 mouse.

Yes, they are pricey, but well worth the ~$130 price tag.

It`s Mionix for me, fantastic quality and design. I have a Naos 5000 which works flawlessly after two and a half years of bashing and throwing around.

I'd highly recommend Logitech instead. Not only are their products of higher quality but they back their products with a much better warranty. They'll send a replacement mouse to you so you don't have to wait and send in your broken one first.

I would agree with you on the Razer issue but not the Logitech statement. I have a whole box of "This one will be better" Logitech mice/keyboards that no longer function, most after just a couple months use.

Been using the Death Adder now since cod 4 and replaced it with another Death Adder after the first was getting a little tired in the left click button. I used it to play competitive matches plus hours and hours of gaming practice. Also hours playing public multiplayer fps games. The new one which I think is the 2013 Death Adder has been going great and clocked up 2000 hours on BF4 plus normal ever day computer use. These mice can take a lot of work and when this one dies or I wear out the buttons I will grab another one.

I have the Logi G602 wireless, and it's easily the best mouse I've ever owned. I wouldn't trade it for anything on this list.

I would suggest the Logitech B100 or M100 as an alternative to the Microsoft Basic Mouse. The Microsoft mouse has an ambidextrous design that's too aggressive and it makes it uncomfortable in either hands. The buttons are too stiff and loud as well compared to the Logitech alternative. The Logitech mice can also be found for the same price.

I have had 3 razer mice and they all ended up with various issues. Most common one being unintentional left double clicks. Very annoying. I am not impressed by the build quality.
Logitech mice seem to be immortal compared to them. My friend has a Logitech that is still kicking after almost 7 years of service.

Once you guys use a MAD CATZ R.A.T.9 mouse, you'll think every mouse in this list is sub-par.
For those that that do MMO gaming, MAD CATZ M.M.O.7 mouse.

Yes, they are pricey, but well worth the ~$130 price tag.
I used the MMO7 for a while but found I missed wireless. The many ways you can tailor these mice to your needs is fantastic. I did love the extra buttons but yearned for a neat wireless solution again. Pretty much sold it for what I bought it for due to picking it up on a sale. Lovely mouse but I'm just as happy with the Logi G602.

I used the MMO7 for a while but found I missed wireless. The many ways you can tailor these mice to your needs is fantastic. I did love the extra buttons but yearned for a neat wireless solution again. Pretty much sold it for what I bought it for due to picking it up on a sale. Lovely mouse but I'm just as happy with the Logi G602.

How do you like the Logi G602?
I've vowed to never purchasing another logitech products, but if there are people who have had a great experience with a specific product, I'm willing to at least check it out and read about it a bit more.

I love the shape of the Deathadder, it's my go to mouse when I don't need a lot of buttons. Otherwise I use the Logitech g700s when I need to bind lots of keys.

How do you like the Logi G602?
I've vowed to never purchasing another logitech products, but if there are people who have had a great experience with a specific product, I'm willing to at least check it out and read about it a bit more.
What experience made you avoid Logitech? I've had very few problems over the years and when I have had they've sent me replacement units without a delay. Anyway, the G602 is for those who like the shape of the Logitech mice of recent years. I am a long term user of the Revolution MX and Performance models, so this was a similar shape, perhaps a little bit lower in height than the Performance was (which was higher than the Revolution). Can adjust its weight a little by running on 1 or 2 AA batteries, but not to the degree you can with the MMO7.

It's fair to say I'm happy so far with my two G602s. Textured side is nice to hold, and won't wear down the same as the rubber on Performance/Revolution models did (I swear I'm part Xenomorph, my sweat seems to act as acid to computer peripherals/gadgets). Battery lasts for ages and uses rechargeable AAs so can have backups ready which I wasn't sure about at first as I was used to dock or usb charge and play of the previous mice, 500Mhz polling (although not pro gamer level polling its never been an issue for me in FPS/MOBA or any other game). I sort of got used to the little joystick on the MMO7 and haven't found myself configuring the buttons on the G602 for as many games but they are still useable. Slightly less buttons I think overall, but a bit more of a reserved style that my wife can use it without triggering a fit of technophobia :) I played a lot of Battlefield 4 and Starcraft II with the MMO7. Found that having buttons for grenade, weapon melee attack and others on the mouse was nice in BF4. "Select queen/larva inject" macro was useful too in SCII.

Overall the MMO7 had higher dpi settings and felt maybe a little more accurate for crosshair positioning, but not that different. The feet of the logitech seem to make it glide more smoothly across the Razer Sphex hard mouse surface. But didn't find a world of difference in use of the two mice. Then again I've never been someone who can tell the difference between wireless/wired, 500Mhz/1000Mhz polling so might not be hardcore enough to be in a position to advise those who are hardcore :)

What experience made you avoid Logitech?
I've had 3 Logi keyboards fail on me; the most recent was the Ctrl Key Cap (both left & right) on the G710 Plus keyboard. Also had their G700s mouse fail by "letting go" of the left click; so I couldn't drag anything in-game. And off course, the G700s mouse was a replacement for a logi mouse that stopped working all together.

So that's why my disappointment with Logitech.

You know what I'll probably do is purchase the RAT and see how a wired mouse treats me, then I'll consider a Logi. Seems I just had a run of bad luck with their products as of late.

Back