The Best Intel B560 Motherboards: VRM Tested

Quick question: So what would the cheapest B560 board be if one wanted to build a budget 10400 / 11400 gaming rig where the CPU runs at full (I.e. review) performance? Is it $140 if I understand the article correctly ?

This market is boring right now. Anything you buy will be obsolete in about 6 month or so, because DDR5 products release is imminent.

Thanks Steve for a great test!

Its nice to see that 2 months ago when I ordered my 11400f with the B560M Aorus Pro I made the right call (figuring out on my own it was the best motherboard in that range). But thanks for the thorough testing!

Oh and btw. this cpu+mobo combo combined with a GTX1070 absolutely destroys my previous HP Z440 workstation with a Xeon 1650v4 (same gpu).

The b560 rog strix f gets pretty much the same results as the strix A on an 11600k. Makes sense I guess since they use the same power delivery.

Thing is you can undervolt these cpus and still maintain the same performance. Mine runs at 1.279 volts 4.6ghz all clock and consumes 130w at peak. Still a lot, but nowhere near the 250+ reported here.

Quick question: So what would the cheapest B560 board be if one wanted to build a budget 10400 / 11400 gaming rig where the CPU runs at full (I.e. review) performance? Is it $140 if I understand the article correctly ?
I don't know why Techspot didn't post here some interesting numbers from the video review so let's fix it. All we need just a conjunction of this test's part of a 11400f + B560 with an old one where Hardware Unboxed tested budget Z590 motherboard. And if we have look at total power consumption results we get some insane numbers. It looks like B560 is very energy inefficient because of a weak VRM so if we disable power limits for 11400f then a system starts consuming as much power as 11900K at 4.9 + Z590 or is quite close to 11900K results.

For example there is how much 11600K + Z590 combo drains power
and now compare it with 11600K stock + B560 | PL disabled

So a conclusion is until you don't touch power limits on B560 you are in peace with it. While it's not very critical for games it can be a significant issue for workload tasks. And in that case it's better to consider another variant like a budget Z590.

I don't know why Techspot didn't post here some interesting numbers from the video review so let's fix it. All we need just a conjunction of this test's part of a 11400f + B560 with an old one where Hardware Unboxed tested budget Z590 motherboard. And if we have look at total power consumption results we get some insane numbers. It looks like B560 is very energy inefficient because of a weak VRM so if we disable power limits for 11400f then a system starts consuming as much power as 11900K at 4.9 + Z590 or is quite close to 11900K results.

For example there is how much 11600K + Z590 combo drains power
and now compare it with 11600K stock + B560 | PL disabled

So a conclusion is until you don't touch power limits on B560 you are in peace with it. While it's not very critical for games it can be a significant issue for workload tasks. And in that case it's better to consider another variant like a budget Z590.
Very interesting. Thanks. Thought the 11400‘s power consumption numbers did look bad but I didn‘t consider comparing them to higher SKU on Z590 boards.

One piece of the puzzle that‘s missing is power numbers for the 11400 on a Z590 board.

It could be that the 11400‘s numbers are just as high there, considering that it‘s using the same die as all other RKL SKU, so binning wise it‘s probably just one tier above landfill grade. I don‘t mean that in a negative way, just wanted to point out that it‘s the lowest possible RKL bin, so might be a lot more inefficient.

The one you're looking for is the Asrock B560M Pro4 at $115. You can see it performed very well for the price in this review, especially with the i5, but got completely skipped over in the summary at the end (it's not in the nice or naughty lists).

Realistically, any of these boards is probably fine for gaming workloads, especially if you undervolt the cpu, but the Pro4 seems to be at the crossover point of being cheap without running into any thermal or throttling issues. There are also a number of other boards not included in this review that are worth looking into. The Steel Legend is an intriguing one.

Whatever you go with, just be sure to disable the power limits, and undervolt if possible.

Does anyone know the difference between the GIGABYTE B560 AORUS ELITE and PRO versions? In my country you can get the Elite version alone.

Back