The Best Monitors 2019

Why is everyone ignoring the Samsung CRG9, aka CRG90, aka C49RG90, aka LC49RG90SSNXZA??

If you're ready to pay $1350 for a Dell UltraSharp U4919DW, you can almost certainly scrape together another $150 to get a screen with the same resolution (1440p super ultrawide, 49") - but with HDR10, 120 hz and FreeSync 2. I mean - what more do you want??

And here the really weird thing: The monitor is on sale at basically every major PC-oriented retailer in Europe - but not ONE SINGLE major tech site has reviewed it.

EDIT: Umm, guys, I was kind of in a bad mood this morning. I could have made this post a lot friendlier. Basically, I'm just trying to figure out what's up. I expect there are reasons why the major tech outlets haven't reviewed yet - and it would actually be pretty cool to understand why. Best - and thanks for the great (free!) service you guys provide!

Last edited:
Can you please include the size of all monitors. Some are mentioned in the text, some next to the name. Some not at all. Thx

Editor's note: Thanks for the feedback, we've added size and other references in the titles as suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want this monitor. 49", 3840 x 1080, Freesync, 1 ms, 144 hz. But I like all these monitors for gaming.

Samsung CHG90 Series C49HG90 49" 1800R 3840x1080 32:9 144Hz 3:000:1 QLED Curved HDR AMD FreeSync Gaming Monitor, 3840 x 1080 1ms
https://www.newegg.com/charcoal-black-samsung-chg90-series-c49hg90-49/p/N82E16824022584

MSI Optix MAG321CQR 32" Full HD Non-Glare Super Narrow Bezel 1ms 2560 x 1440 Resolution 144Hz Refresh Rate
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824475024

Samsung CHG70 Series C32HG70 32" 1800R curved gaming monitor, QLED, 1ms (GTG) 2560x1440 (2K) 144Hz, AMD FreeSync, 2xHDMI, DP, USB, VESA Mount, Height/Tilt/Swivel/Pivot Adjustable
https://www.newegg.com/dark-blue-black-samsung-chg70-series-c32hg70-31-5/p/N82E16824025164

For competitive first-person shooters you don't need a big *** monitor, about 24 inches is all you need, fast response time and high refresh rate. You don't really benefit much form a high resolution either. Good thing that one is fairly cheap.

I wish someone made a proper 16:9 4K monitor in 34" - 38" range. No one does... This size and res feels like a sweet spot for production but all the 4K monitors are either too small or too big. Nothing in the middle. Grr...

I love my Alienware AW3418DW 34" Curved

I sit about 2 feet from it and it's like being on a spaceship bridge.

Can't wait till they make a 4K version - or higher.

For competitive first-person shooters you don't need a big *** monitor, about 24 inches is all you need, fast response time and high refresh rate. You don't really benefit much form a high resolution either. Good thing that one is fairly cheap.

There is need and there is want. I know people feel like they need to wear or use all the same gear their favorite pro's do but the reality is most of you are not and never will be "pros". So instead but the monitor that performs well and looks great on your desk.

I bought a 1440p/144hz a couple years ago and its perfect. Its got lots of real estate and good colors/speed without murdering the video card. Someone playing on a 240hz 24" 1080p might have fractionally faster response times but not enough to matter for most of us.

What got me with this list was the prevalence of 4K monitors. I try hard to get people not to buy 4K monitors unless they are swimming in cash for a video card. 4K performance is pretty lackluster even on my 1080ti. That leaves a 1500$ GPU to get "good" FPS out of a 4K monitor (unless you only play turnbased games). Maybe once Ampere comes out in 2020 a 600$ card will play decent 4k. Of course it won't do that's with raytracing so I guess we should hang onto our 1440p monitors for a few more years.

Im seriously considering the 31.5" 1440p LG monitor to replace my 27" 1440p. My eyes are not super so the extra PPI would be really nice. But 80-100$ more buys me a 34" ultrawide. I dont really want to lose the 25-30% performance id lose (from 2560x1440 to 3440x1440 burns up roughly an extra 30%. So if you were getting 100fps youll get 70fps on the ultrawide). Ill be able to see and test them both so I guess ill decide there.

There is need and there is want. I know people feel like they need to wear or use all the same gear their favorite pro's do but the reality is most of you are not and never will be "pros". So instead but the monitor that performs well and looks great on your desk.

I bought a 1440p/144hz a couple years ago and its perfect. Its got lots of real estate and good colors/speed without murdering the video card. Someone playing on a 240hz 24" 1080p might have fractionally faster response times but not enough to matter for most of us.

What got me with this list was the prevalence of 4K monitors. I try hard to get people not to buy 4K monitors unless they are swimming in cash for a video card. 4K performance is pretty lackluster even on my 1080ti. That leaves a 1500$ GPU to get "good" FPS out of a 4K monitor (unless you only play turnbased games). Maybe once Ampere comes out in 2020 a 600$ card will play decent 4k. Of course it won't do that's with raytracing so I guess we should hang onto our 1440p monitors for a few more years.

#1 I don't play "competitively". I play the game just to play them. I see no need for bleeding edge response times or resolution beyond the picture generally looking "flawless".

#2 4K monitors as you point out aren't really worth the extra hardware costs (right now). I bought a 2080Ti specifically because I knew it was the one GPU I could trust to deliver solid performance regardless the resolution - and without the framerate drops when settings get maxed out.

But that $1500 with taxes and fees is hard for most people to swallow.

Today I would not even look at monitors like these, without proper HDR support. I have been using a proper 4K HDR monitor for some time now, and I am never going back to that old pre-HDR crap.

Hello.

I would like to buy a new monitor and I have narrowed the search to:
- LG 32UD99-W
- Dell U3219Q
- Asus ProArt PA32UC
- Viewsonic VP3268-4K
- Philips 328P6VUB
- ASUS CG32UQ
- Acer XB321HK

Which one is better?

I don't mind color accuracy.
I just want no bleeding, high contrast ratio (maybe HDR) and good resolution (very sharp).
High frequency would also be a plus.
I have found some isolated reviews and comments about them but no comparison.

Lately Dell monitors have been hit by quality control issues:
- U2720Q is already known for the waved bottom bezel, looks just like they failed to properly apply glue
- U2718Q has brightness issues, will just slightly drop the brightness, most notably where you have a light colored background like on webpages and Word

When will be the time when we see 4k monitors with 240 fps, 1ms response time, and a graphic card to drive such content smoothly.

Back