The final Windows 7 and 8 patch is here, adding secure boot to Windows 7 (kind of)

Daniel Sims

Staff
What just happened? Judgment day for Windows 7 and 8 has finally arrived. While we've known this was coming for a while, Microsoft had a final surprise for Windows 7 users: anyone still needing critical security updates for these operating systems can rely on 0patch for another two years.

Microsoft delivered the final updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8 through extended security update (ESU) this week, closing the book on the aging operating systems. The China Software Development Network blog discovered that the update adds UEFI secure boot to Windows 7, but it appears to be a flawed implementation.

Secure boot debuted in Windows 8, and while it's a pleasant surprise to see Microsoft extend the feature to Windows 7, it doesn't seem to work correctly for everyone. The patch didn't update the VGA.sys and VGApnp.sys display drivers, leaving some users stuck at the Windows startup logo when they tried to enable secure boot. Since pure UEFI Class 3 systems don't include Compatibility Support Module or Legacy Mode, they'll need a workaround.

The update also fixes issues involving the msds-SupportedEncryptionTypes attribute and apps using Microsoft Open Database Connectivity SQL Server Driver (sqlsrv32.dll). However, it leaves behind a couple of known unresolved issues. The patch might show a warning indicating failure to update in Windows 7, and in Windows 8 it could cause domain join operations to fail.

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 in 2015 and Windows 8 in 2018, and Windows 7 extended support lasted until 2020. However, the company maintained an expensive ESU option to deliver critical security updates for the many systems that still used Windows 7 at the time. Windows 7 ESU and Windows 8 extended support ended this week. Patches on both operating systems for Chrome and Microsoft Edge will also cease.

About 11 percent of Windows systems worldwide still use Windows 7, slightly less than the 16 percent running Microsoft's latest OS – Windows 11. Until January 2025, the last remaining option for those who still want important Windows 7 updates will be 0patch micropatching. The group will also continue support for Microsoft Edge on Windows Server 2008 and Server 2012 during that period.

Windows 7, launched in 2009, was very popular for its relative stability. Windows 8, however, drew much criticism for its major changes to the system interface when it was released in 2012. Most Windows users today are on Windows 10, while Windows 11 struggles to pick up steam.

Permalink to story.

If the only way into the operating system is through the browser, then it should be easy for Microsoft to make a Windows version that never requires updates at all

This is basically how I've kept Windows XP online for the past 9 years without a single security update and without a single malware problem

Unfortunately, Microsoft cannot maintain an illegal Monopoly and Global Spyware Operation with a secure version of Windows for the End User

Instead, they have secured it for Microsoft and "Trusted Partners"

Windows REQUIRES backdoors and dozens of permanent vulnerabilities to maintain a criminal operation at this scale

FACT CHECKING IS WELCOMED!

Just like Windows 10 was the "final" version of Windows.

I've now fully switched to Linux. The only spyware left on my computer is likely the hardware (Intel ME, etc).

If the only way into the operating system is through the browser, then it should be easy for Microsoft to make a Windows version that never requires updates at all

This is basically how I've kept Windows XP online for the past 9 years without a single security update and without a single malware problem

Unfortunately, Microsoft cannot maintain an illegal Monopoly and Global Spyware Operation with a secure version of Windows for the End User

Instead, they have secured it for Microsoft and "Trusted Partners"

Windows REQUIRES backdoors and dozens of permanent vulnerabilities to maintain a criminal operation at this scale

FACT CHECKING IS WELCOMED!

The Browser is not the only way into the system, in fact it is far from the only way....

XP's Firewall was also a pile of hot garbage, which is why it was common to use 3rd party.

Problem with XP is software support. Still works Great on a C2D, Not something I would run on core I series a chips though.

That being said even windows 7 is very archaic in use. Too many life improvements have been made on modern versions of windows. This will not change or slow down. Windows will continue to get life improvements.

"The 0patch support list includes Windows 7, its server counterpart Server 2008 R2, and older versions of Windows 10."

So, Win8.1 users are out of luck...?!

The Browser is not the only way into the system, in fact it is far from the only way....

XP's Firewall was also a pile of hot garbage, which is why it was common to use 3rd party.

Problem with XP is software support. Still works Great on a C2D, Not something I would run on core I series a chips though.

Yes, the only way into "MY" XP system is through the browser

Already have 3rd party firewall, and I am the software support!

ZERO blue screen of death in over 12 years
No DLL conflicts
NO reg errors to speak of

That being said even windows 7 is very archaic in use. Too many life improvements have been made on modern versions of windows. This will not change or slow down. Windows will continue to get life improvements.
"Life Improvements" ? Who's life are we talking about? I don't think it's the consumer....

I use win7, never upgraded, never will. Works good.
as they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Back