The Pirate Bay's use of CloudFlare means ISP blocks are ineffective

Shawn Knight

Staff member

pirate bay isp raid ip address tpb cloudflare pirate bay blocked https strict

Authorities seemed rather confident that they’d shut down popular torrent-sharing site The Pirate Bay (TPB) once and for all following a raid on its servers late last year. The resilient site resurfaced just a month later, however, and is now even easier to access thanks to a partnership with CloudFlare.

The UK’s High Court issued a series of blocking orders in 2012 to block TPB and other torrent and streaming portals. Since that time, a number of major ISPs in the region were required to enforce the orders which meant determined individuals had to jump through hoops to regain access to the site.

That no longer appears to be the case.

According to the operator of a Pirate Bay proxy (via Torrent Freak), what is likely happening is that when HTTPS Strict is enabled on CloudFlare, it removes certain identifiable information from a request. When an ISP checks the header to see if it is on the banned list, they get nothing and treat the site as unbanned.

The operator adds that any site that uses CloudFlare, has properly configured and signed its SSL certificate and enables HTTPS Strict should be good to go. What’s more, CloudFlare adds an additional layer or protection because the true location of a server is hidden behind CloudFlare.

Other benefits of CloudFlare include the fact that it helps to protect against DDoS attacks and reduces the bandwidth burden put on servers.

The partnership means that those who have had access to the site blocked are suddenly finding they can visit without incident, a fact that is steadily increasing TPB’s traffic.

Permalink to story.

If they even keep log files.

The only reason this site is still popular is because of the attention it gets. Which is great for other sites as they get left alone a bit longer. But this site is the worst. Always has been a dodgy, nasty site. It is a white page with a poo brown banner. Says it all.

This is the site where the newbs go to get their virus riddled software, their malware modified games n cracks.

POO BROWN BANNER!

I can't even get on? It shows the first screen then I go to search something and it says this website is offline?

The only reason this site is still popular is because of the attention it gets. Which is great for other sites as they get left alone a bit longer. But this site is the worst. Always has been a dodgy, nasty site. It is a white page with a poo brown banner. Says it all.

This is the site where the newbs go to get their virus riddled software, their malware modified games n cracks.

POO BROWN BANNER!

Ive never had an issue with piratebay :(

POO BROWN BANNER!

Ive never had an issue with piratebay :(

That's because you are not a noob.

I'm seen noobs even screw up downloads from kickass because they have no idea what to click on.

=/ I've also never had a problem with pirate bay, and even though I've been using it extensively for years I by no means consider myself to actually know what I'm doing. The only diligence I do is skim through the comments to see if the torrent is getting a positive response.

Also the bay wasn't running when I started this comment, but upon retrying it seems fully functional.
Thank God.

On top of everything - after resurfacing, thepiratebay.se became legal... sort of! They are not anymore doing anything illegal by most contries legal system. What am I talking about some may ask? They stopped hosting .torrent files (which make them targetable by different laws). Now they only use magnet links...

One could argue, that .torrent files were also "kind of just links" .... but they were also actual files, which links are not.

The law was pointless making more work for ISPs which they probably get back in increases costs to end users. After it was all implemented people found there just had to use a different route to get to sites like pirate bay the blocks never ever stopped them

I am not in UK, and find CloudFlare to be useless. Whenever I see the indication of CloudFlare, it says that Pirate Bay's servers are down - but makes the promise that they've cached the site and I can continue despite this fact. Unfortunately, I have yet to have any luck with it.

Back