Hi,

Just built a new system with these specs:

P4 3.0 Prescott
Intel D915PBL Motherboard
1024 gig Mushkin DDR2 PC-4200 533mhz RAM
XFX Geforce 6600GT Video
Super Lanboy case
Thermaltake Silent775 HSF with Arctic Silver 5 applied

I'm not really sure why Thermaltake decided to call this HS Silent. It's not. It's much louder than my old P4 2.2 w/stock heatsink and fan system.

And I don't think the cooling is that great:

CPU Idle: 44 - 46
CPU Load: 56 - 57 (tested with Sandra 2005)
Case temp: 36 -38
Ambient Room Temps: 24 - 26

I was thinking of a new case for this system. Possibly the Thermaltake Shark case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133144

But this has a more open design, and would probably be even louder.

I was wondering if I could use a quieter fan for the Silent775 heatsink and still get the cooling from it.

ahh, your temps are allright. just keep that northbridge cool as well and you'll be fine. you've already got a nice case, changing it makes no sense from a cooling standpoint.

want silent? get yourself a zalman 7000/7700 all copper hsf kit. make sure your case/board can accommodate it's proportions first, though.

That was actually my first choice for a HSF. It's compatible with my MB, but I don't think it would clear my power supply.

How can I tell if the northbridge is cool. I've just been assuming it is.

use active monitor to find your northbridge temp (system zone 2 on my d865perl). the meter should clue you into what's cool, but i believe 50 degrees c is the highest intel's specs allow for.

Well, I've been using SpeedFan. Intel ActiveMonitor doesn't work well with my MB. Speedfan shows the CPU at 42, the "Internal Temp" at 34, and the "Remote Temp" at 34.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back