This $200 smart hairbrush from L'Oreal and Withings has won a CES innovation award

midian182

Staff member

You can always rely on CES to feature some amazing new tech, but there are occasionally some products on show that make you wonder where we’re heading. Such a device is the Kératase Hair Coach, a smart hairbrush. Yes, really.

The device comes from cosmetics giant L’Oreal and is powered by Nokia-owned Withings. Like the many connected toothbrushes available today, it pairs with your smartphone to track data.

The Kératase Hair Coach may look like a normal hairbrush on the outside, but there are five sensors packed inside: an accelerometer, a gyroscope, a conductivity sensor, load cells, and a microphone. It's powered with disposable batteries and has no charging port.

The on-board technology allows the Kératase to monitor brushing patterns, identify wet or dry hair, and let you know if you’re brushing too hard. But it’s the microphone that’s the most important component, apparently, as it listens to brushing patterns and detects “manageability, frizziness, dryness, split ends and breakage.”

The Hair Coach app gives you a breakdown of the information, which is sent to a handset via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. It rates the quality of your hair, offers tips on better brushing techniques, and suggests some L’Oreal products that could help improve your locks.

"Each time someone uses the smart brush they get rich data they never before had access to, which can improve their overall hair care experience," said Cedric Hutchings, Nokia’s VP of digital health.

While the hairbrush may seem like another example of the tech industry’s quest to make every household item ‘smart,’ it still managed to win the CES innovation award for wearable products.  

Permalink to story.

We "wear" hairbrushes now?

This seems so stupid, but I almost want the FDA to step in and ask them to back up their claims of knowing what kind of condition your hair is in and what products you need to buy in order improve it quality (I.e. "health"), because this seems like one of the cases where there are too many variables in play to be able to really get an accurate picture.

This should be interesting, but personally, I would not spend the money on this just to have the brush tell me "you're brushing your hair wrong".

Going bald never felt so good... But I guess I could always just wear this thing as a hat right?

Since it uses a built-in microphone, I'm guessing it wouldn't work well while blow drying your hair at the same time or possibly while listening to loud music?

Did anyone else notice in the video that it also has a vibrating handle? This really could be the new girl's best friend! ;P

I can't wait for this. As soon as it's available I'm gonna rush out and buy it. Wait... Hold it... I've suddenly remembered one important fact, I'm bald, so "investing" in one will be a... err... hair brained scheme. Damn! Oh well, I guess I'm just gonna have to wait for connectable IoT toothpicks to be invented and hopefully I'll still have some of my own teeth left when they do.

Last edited:
I am so glad I'm bald .... otherwise this is exactly the kind of stupid gift my kids would want to give me. Now, give me a techno-back scratcher that tells me why it itches and I might fork out $10 .... shoot, I'd even go as high at $15 .... otherwise I'm going to teach the cat to use it for a scratching post!

My sister was a hair dresser for over 30 years (carpal tunnel stopped that), she said this is the
dumbest thing she's ever heard of, but, she said they will sell a bunch of them.

My sister was a hair dresser for over 30 years (carpal tunnel stopped that), she said this is the dumbest thing she's ever heard of, but, she said they will sell a bunch of them.
I bet she was still laughing hours later, just as I was at how stupid it is.

Back