This is AMD's dual-GPU Fiji graphics card

Scorpus

Staff member

amd dual-gpu fiji radeon gpu graphics card dual-gpu fiji e3 2015

During the PC Gaming Show, which ran for a mammoth two and a half hours at E3 2015 last night, AMD CEO Lisa Su briefly appeared on stage to show off another Radeon graphics card that the company only briefly mentioned during the launch of their Fury line earlier in the day.

The card shown was a dual-GPU Fiji-based card (seen above thanks to PC Gamer), which currently doesn't have a name, or any associated specifications. From the layout of the card you can clearly see four stacks of high-bandwidth memory (HBM) flanking each GPU, as well as two 8-pin PCIe power connectors: curiously the same power delivery system as the single-GPU Radeon R9 Fury.

This dual-GPU card also comes with three DisplayPorts and one HDMI port, judging by the connectors on the left-hand side. The PCB for the card is also fairly short for a dual-GPU card, which is down to the space-saving HBM that also allowed AMD to develop the Radeon R9 Nano.

Also missing at this stage is a cooler that's capable of dissipating heat from two Fiji GPUs, although it's expected that this dual-GPU card will use a modified version of the liquid-cooling solution used on the dual-GPU Radeon R9 295X2.

As the dual-GPU Fiji card shown by AMD was clearly not ready for release, Su didn't mention anything about a release date or a price tag, aside from a vague statement that the card would be available this fall.

Permalink to story.

These days for a blue-chip company to bring a PCB on stage like this is a dark day indeed.

Imagine Apple showing off a circuitry for their next iPhone, and just how pathetic that would be...

These days for a blue-chip company to bring a PCB on stage like this is a dark day indeed.

Imagine Apple showing off a circuitry for their next iPhone, and just how pathetic that would be...
Apple would just show an empty shell so it looks like they did something or they could show off a previous model and no one would no the difference.

as a tech-savvy person I actually would like to see more reveals like this. things like this should be encouraged. let them peel off the pretty looking shell and let us look at what's important.
if you consider a company showing off the PCB is pathetic then you are an embarrassment for the PC community.

as a tech-savvy person I actually would like to see more reveals like this. things like this should be encouraged. let them peel off the pretty looking shell and let us look at what's important.
if you consider a company showing off the PCB is pathetic then you are an embarrassment for the PC community.

Agreed. Whats the point in showing pretty looking plastic on the outside. I want to know whats under the hood.

Who cares what a tech geek thinks? My comments were directed at the product situation and the marketing politics of AMD.

Surely someone like you would go to the presentation of a new car and get over-excited to be shown a motor instead, just no real car.

Fair enough, just don’t throw in your view on the marketing or the company’s ability to deliver, you will only embarrass yourself.

Who cares what a tech geek thinks? My comments were directed at the product situation and the marketing politics of AMD.
Surely someone like you would go to the presentation of a new car and get over-excited to be shown a motor instead, just no real car.
Fair enough, just don’t throw in your view on the marketing or the company’s ability to deliver, you will only embarrass yourself.
Your comment is so off that the only conceivable explanation is that you're trolling.
First, every graphics card IS a PCB. The plastic stuff that goes around it is just the cooler. You surely can't be dense enough to think that this is "pathetic" just because the have shown the card without a cooler on top of it. Besides, if what they wanted to show was the fact the there are two GPU dies in that PCB, that's exactly what they're supposed to do, since a cooler would cover everything beneath it.
Second, regardless of whether you buy AMD or Nvidia, what they show on stage during a reveal, on the vast majority of cases, is not what you buy. Look at the reference cards shown by AMD and Nvidia, then go to the EVGA/XFX/Sapphire/ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte website and see if they are offering that exact same thing. On some GPU launches there isn't even a reference model to begin with.
Third, the car comparison is remarkably flawed. A car has many functions that do not revolve around the engine, like comfort, safety, carrying capacity, gas mileage (depends on engine, but not only it), aesthetics, visual communication, symbolizing status, and so on. That's not the case with a graphics card, the cooler only serves the function of cooling it (and carrying some branding, which again does not depend on AMD and Nvidia, but on OEMs). Entirely false equivalence.
So I guess 2/10, because you made me reply. But argumentation was severely lacking, you can't really be a successful troll with poor arguments.

Your comment is so off that the only conceivable explanation is that you're trolling.

What's conceivable, is that just about every guest post here is either trolling or a personal attack. And that's a fact.

Right on.

What's conceivable, is that just about every guest post here is either trolling or a personal attack. And that's a fact.

Dude, just stop while your ahead. If you are getting told off by guest commentators, you need to take a few steps back and re-evaluate.

I really don't see how showing the PCB, you know the important part, makes the tech industry look bad. Is it wrong for AMD to want to show off that they are the first company to use HBM memory? Or that they already have a dual GPU card coming out in September?

The size of the card and the fact that the dual gpu card does not require more PCI-E power connectors is a pretty good sign.

I prefer to see the PCB and chip itself, if they made a huge effort so you never get to see the innards I'd question if it was HBM or a new chip design at all.

What you are saying would be true if the presentation was about smartphones or something where geeks are not really the targeted community. However, expensive GPUs are mostly aimed at geeks, not average Joe, so don't dismiss them.

Back