This is the Rolls-Royce Vision Next 100 concept car

Shawn Knight

Staff member

In celebration of its 100th birthday, BMW earlier this year unveiled its Vision Next 100 Vehicle, a glimpse of what the future of the automotive industry may look like. Now, it’s Rolls-Royce’s turn.

The BMW subsidiary recently unveiled its Rolls-Royce Vision Next 100 concept. Built with the same length and height proportions as the land yacht that is the Rolls-Royce Phantom, the Vision Next 100 is about as “out there” as it gets for a concept car.

The vehicle (which will never make it to production in this form) features a zero-emissions powertrain with an interior that looks more akin to a swanky lounge than an automobile. There’s a small sofa in the cabin – yes, a sofa in a car – wrapped in silk alongside Macassar wood trim and deep-pile ivory wool carpet.

Of course, there’s no steering wheel or instrument cluster as the vehicle is fully autonomous. All interaction is handled through a personal digital assistant named Eleanor. A cabin-wide transparent OLED will presumably serve as your entertainment during trips.

The exterior of the vehicle is, well, different. In my opinion, it has the face that only a mother could love. There must be some unwritten rule which dictates that prototypes / concepts must feature the ugliest wheel coverings imaginable (such was even the case with early hybrids until not all that long ago).

The Spirit of Ecstasy hood ornament and the Pantheon grille immediately signify that you’re looking at a Rolls-Royce.

What are your thoughts on the Rolls-Royce Vision Next 100 concept? Are there any elements that you’d welcome or is the whole thing a bit too futuristic and unusual for you? Let us know in the comments section below!

Permalink to story.

Introducing the Rolls-Royce Cylon.

891293-cent_005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While it certainly isn't modern, they need to stick with the classic RR lines. That and it's reputation are what sets it apart. Creating a more modern look will only detract from their reputation and value.

While it certainly isn't modern, they need to stick with the classic RR lines. That and it's reputation are what sets it apart. Creating a more modern look will only detract from their reputation and value.

Yep. The modern/futuristic styling is Mercedes-Benz's thing. This concept looks like it would fit inconspicuously next to a Lamborghini platform. A proper Rolls looks like an estate accent piece:

Rolls-Royce-Phantom-Series-II-0.jpg

You think the luggage would levitate out or something. Maybe a part of the car would turn into the robot valet to take the luggage or is that the job fated for the rest of us that aren't the beautiful people of the video.

When I first saw photo for this article, for a moment I thought it was some new sort of controller launched at E3. I should probably get another cup of coffee.

Yeah, I'd like to see that turd go through a 12" snowstorm. It looks like they designed its "concept" to be situated where it's 72 & sunny, 365 days a year.

Maybe they could offer it with a "free autonomous Hummer", which would go tow it home while you sit in front of your mansion's fireplace, sipping hot buttered rum from pirate Jean Lafitte's time...

Or, new phone app's could allow you to order online, and then send the Rolls by itself to pick it up! For when you absolutely, positively, need another two dozen donuts in the next ten minutes! Wow, how fat will your a**es be then...(y)

. We all know where the Wankel engine went...
Well, that was likely a rhetorical statement but, for the young 'uns, they went here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine. They also were ungodly fast for their CID's

And I still think the original Delorean was inspired heavily by the Mercedes you posted earlier. Did you compare them? The only mitigating factor is that mid-engined vehicles were trendy back then.

The only thing to like about this car is the spirit of ecstasy and the interior, the later lacking seat belts. I guess we won't need them in the future.

Rolls Royce used to always aim for understated elegance, but their more recent cars seem more aimed at footballers than country gents - is this a bad thing - I don't know. As for this car, it's certainly unusual - only trouble is the shrouded wheels don't look capable of turning, so it can only drive in straight lines. I guess if you could afford one of these you could afford to commission some straight roads to get anywhere you wanted to go - like a modern day Caesar.

Rolls Royce used to always aim for understated elegance, but their more recent cars seem more aimed at footballers than country gents - is this a bad thing - I don't know.
they are preparing for the future...coming soon to a Network near you: Pimp my Rolls

Back