This Senator on the subcommittee for technology has never personally sent an email before

Justin Kahn

senator

In many cases, we hope the politicians in power have a firm understanding of the policies they govern. But, as we all know, that is not always the case. Senator Lindsey Graham, who happens to sit on the Senate Subcommittee for Privacy, Technology and the Law, as well as others, has never sent an email before. 

When asked recently by Chuck Todd from the Meet the Press if he keeps a personal email account, Senator Graham replied my saying that not only does he not use email, but he has never sent one before. "I don't email. You can have every email I've ever sent. I've never sent one,” Graham said. Apparently the senator chooses to handle things in person and feels it is much more practical and effective to talk to people on the phone or face-to-face.

Now having said all that, Graham certainly has a number of options when it comes to communicating electronically. While he may not have ever used email personally, he more than likely has a team of assistants that take care of all that for him. Preventing him from firing off emails he regrets in the morning, it sounds as though Senator Graham likes it just the way it is as well. 

While it may not be directly important to the work Graham does on the tech subcommittee, it is somewhat troubling knowing he has never personally sent off an email. Take a look at the video below to hear more on Graham's thoughts about electronic mail: 

Permalink to story.

Lmao, hypocrite!
So out of touch with reality and making comments on what the next president should be like? Go back to 1970 please.

Saying you shouldn't just fire off what comes to mind instantly by rather talk face to face.. last I checked thats how the cold war started. Talking face to face is 10x more prone to instant fail than even a hastily written angry email.

How in the bloody hell does he use anything on the web, sure make an account instead of your email we'll just ask for your social security number please!

I don't have a problem with that. Besides, he has a staff to handle that stuff for him. Email, text....everything, overused when NOTHING beats REAL human interaction.

Sorry libs, you need to come with something better than that to take the attention from your ***** Hellery.

As opposed to Hilary Clinton who not only sends emails but sets up her own illegal email server in her house.

Come to think of it, the simple fact that this article is written and posted ,yet the actual tech related crime isn't mentioned concerns me.

This is funny, I didn't realize that if you quote someone's post, which then gets deleted later, then your post gets deleted also, automatically. This is what I just got a notification of :)

I must say I have mixed feelings about this topic. I'm glad he chooses to live in reality and not spend all his time emailing. But as a technological subcommittee representative, he should at least know how. And by the sounds of it he doesn't care to know how. Makes you wonder what other technologies he doesn't care to know how works. But yet his profession should deem it a requirement.

This is funny, I didn't realize that if you quote someone's post, which then gets deleted later, then your post gets deleted also, automatically. This is what I just got a notification of :)
It's not automatic. It's manual. FWIW, the quote was the only problem. If you wanted to repost without the quote, it will stand.

Lol he copy pasted that from mccain, er took a Polaroid. Whatever people did in the pre 1990s.

"Preventing him from firing off emails he regrets in the morning, it sounds as though Senator Graham likes it just the way it is as well."

"Apparently the senator chooses to handle things in person and feels it is much more practical and effective to talk to people on the phone or face-to-face."

In a lot of cases, I agree. I wish more people would just use the old fashioned way of actually talking to each other. However, in a lot of other cases, this is not practical nor effective. Bottom line: keep your options open; sometimes face to face is preferred, sometimes phoning, sometimes chat. Think before you do (but that's something most people are unable to do).

Sadly, it is very much our fault as much as his. We allow and support a political system that has not much in the form of candidate pre-qualification before they can run and our not so Supreme Court has made it even easier with no limitations on spending. Wouldn't it be interesting if every political candidate were made to compete on a TV show like that one where adults try to pass a 9th grade test before they were allowed to run? That would certainly change the political landscape; and I'm thinking it would be for the better!

And yet, there are people in Congress passing regulations on airline flight/safety who aren't pilots, over-the-road truck regulations who aren't truck drivers, regulations regarding food handling and safety who don't cook, health regulations who aren't doctors, etc. The fact Graham doesn't use email doesn't disqualify him from being head of, or even a member of, that committee. Fact is, we have people making laws and regulations every day who have no first hand knowledge of the area they're regulating. Yet no one seems to have a problem with that.

I would venture a guess that he prefers face to face communication over e-mail because it doesn't leave any evidence. No one can prove he said something without recording the conversation. Much harder to do, and might be illegal in DC, the capitol, what have you. Having said that, I doubt he really does understand technology very well. But you don't have to be able to code to decide whether or not PRISM is constitutionally legal.

Fact is, we have people making laws and regulations every day who have no first hand knowledge of the area they're regulating. Yet no one seems to have a problem with that.
I do have a problem with that, but see no way of changing it with the very limited options (by design I might add) we have.

Edit: The very next article I'm reading is a perfect example.
https://www.techspot.com/article/973-making-video-games/

Last edited:
Good job Lindsley. Adding another layer of non accountability and finger pointing to your repertoire. You're fast approaching the title of Super Plotician er Politician.

I think the statement is probably true if you never leave your parents basement.

Sorry, bro - I deal with people primarily face-to-face and over the phone. Email is for general communication, not for anything substantive. You only "instant fail" face to face if you have poor verbal communication/people skills.

Edit: My mistake on the response. The first quote didn't show up properly in the comments. (We should really converse these threads in person.)

C2z2X6HVEAAx7xX.jpg

The ignorance in congress and the unelected federal government should be no surprise to anyone it's an unaccountable cesspool of graft and corruption and moreover the elected corrupt congress people have no term limits

senator

In many cases, we hope the politicians in power have a firm understanding of the policies they govern. But, as we all know, that is not always the case. Senator Lindsey Graham, who happens to sit on the Senate Subcommittee for Privacy, Technology and the Law, as well as others, has never sent an email before. 

[/QUOTE]Really be nice if you didn't post HTML

Back