Tim Cook says UK will be fine outside of EU; tells students not to work just for the money

midian182

Staff member

As part of Tim Cook’s tour around Europe, the Apple Boss has told UK Prime Minister Theresa May that he is “very optimistic” about the country's future following its exit from the EU. He also visited some education centers, telling students not to work just for the money, while warning that technology in the classroom is no substitute for traditional teaching.

During a meeting with the PM at Downing Street yesterday, Cook said he thought Britain would be “just fine” outside of the European Union. He later told ITV’s Good Morning program that his firm would “double down” on the country.

Apple is one of several companies that have raised their prices in the UK as a result of the pound's fall against the dollar in the wake of Brexit. The iPhone maker added hundreds of pounds to the price of all its UK Macs last October and increased app store prices by 25 percent last month. But Cook is still “very optimistic” about post-Brexit Britain.

"Yes there will be bumps in the road along the way but the UK's going to be fine," said Cook. "We are proud that Apple's innovation and growth now supports nearly 300,000 jobs across the UK."

Last year, Apple revealed it was moving its London headquarters to the redeveloped Battersea Power Station, and Cook explained that the company was "leaving significant space there to expand." The UK government took this as a sign that foreign firms were still willing to invest in the country following the vote to leave Europe.

The day before the meeting with May, Cook visited the University of Glasgow, where he received an honorary degree. He also had some advice for students: don’t make money the main factor when picking a career path.

"My advice to all of you is, don't work for money — it will wear out fast, or you'll never make enough and you will never be happy, one or the other," Cook said.

"There's a big difference between loving to work and loving the work. And there's a big difference between whether you fall in love with some work that is just for profits or revenues versus work that is in the service of others. And so I feel very strongly about that," he added.

Surprisingly, some people haven’t responded well to being told that money isn’t that important by a man whose net worth is almost one billion dollars.

Cook also commented on tech’s role in the classroom during a visit to a north London school. Woodberry Down Community Primary School in Harringay is one of a group of schools that have incorporated iPads and related software into its lesson plans. It may be a certified Apple Distinguished school, but the CEO stressed that class technology is a "compliment to tradition teaching and not a substitute."

Permalink to story.

I doubt whether most 6 year old students could be stupid enough to believe whatever that clown has to say. I think he was just trying to turn them into iSheep because they're at an impressionable age.

It's easy for a man who's annual salary exceeds what the common man could hope to make in a life time. .... maybe we should volunteer him to move into one of those little tiny houses that are so popular and donate his salary to the homeless ............... Come on Tim Cook, it's "put up or shut up time" ...... notice the deafening silence ......

And here I am, a measly developer with the highest offer of 1200 euros per month for a team leader position.

"My advice to all of you is, don't work for money ..." - Tim Cook, Apple CEO. OF ALL PEOPLE.

Next up, we have who ever the **** owns McDonald's advocating for healthy eating habits.

Back