Time Warner says there is no demand for residential gigabit Internet

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google made headlines last summer when they powered up their first self-built gigabit Internet service available exclusively to lucky Kansas City residents. While enthusiasts around the country remain envious of the 1,000 Mbps download and upload speeds that locals have enjoyed for more than six months, not everyone believes there is a market for such a connection.

During a speech at the Morgan Stanley Technology Conference earlier today, Time Warner Cable chief financial officer Irene Esteves downplayed the impact that Google Fiber is having on consumers. The executive said Time Warner was in the business of delivering what consumers want as well as staying a little ahead of what they think they will want.

time warner cable gigabit internet consumer demand

As of now, she said the company simply doesn’t see the need of delivering similar speeds to the average consumer. Residential customers reportedly have shown little interest in their top tier Internet package. She pointed out, however, that they are already delivering speeds of 1 gigabit to business customers – demonstrating at least that they have the capability to do so.

That’s not to say that Time Warner is totally ruling out the idea of delivering similar speeds to residential customers in the future. Esteves said that if Google finds applications that require such speeds and there’s a need for it, they would build their product base to deliver it as well.

Until then, it looks as though Time Warner customers and virtually everyone else will have to be content with existing speed grades until a real need arises – or Google decides to expand to other cities.

Permalink to story.

"[FONT=Arial]if Google finds applications that require such speeds and there’s a need for it, they would build their product base to deliver it as well."

Torrent.[/FONT]

Ok so basically Time Warner is doing our thinking and wanting for us? I know plenty of ppl who would kill for even half that speed. I believe that Time Warner needs to stop trying to be a god and just spend the cash and upgrade their system so they can provide those speeds to their customers. As for Google, I can only hope that Google has seen how happy the ppl in KC are with their service and speeds and decides to give the rest of America some of that love.

Given my experience with the monopoly called "Time Warner" in my area, this is simply another way of saying "We are making sht loads of money now, and have no interest in investing in higher speed internet because it will reduce our profits for years and our customers will not pay extra for it; however, we cannot say that to the general public, so we will blame the lack of interest in gigabit internet on our customers since that lets us off the hook."

Middle finger up to Time Warner. When the opportunity arises, I will dump them. In our area, they are a monopoly due to town/city franchising, and they also seem to feel that gives them the right to abuse their customers.

There needs to be a survey given to see who whould be interested in gigabit internet. I would leave time warner in a heart beat, for another company in my area who offered faster internet speed at a affordable price.

If you build it, they will come. The possibilities are endless. Really, the history of laughable quotes from some of the most visionary figures in tech history should really indicate a pattern... We can always do more, with more.

For all those ppl that feel that they are trapped by lack of ISP providers in their area. GO CELLULAR!! There are MANY prepaid services that you can get that would allow you to get online w/o having to go through Time Warner. I would suggest you either check with your cell phone provider or check out Virgin Moble. Virgin has a unlimited 4G package at $55.00. Just food for thought.

The joke honestly is.. we charge so much for these speeds, so we apparently can tell what people want ahead of time. If the prices were really so low, people would snap it up instantly. There's no reason to ignore likely high interest in those speeds, just would rather charge a pretty penny though.

I'd totally snap my fingers, to get faster internet if it worked. They say it can be done, but where's the actual motivation? Oh right.. their personal polls, that nobody but them can see. "They are already delivering speeds of 1 gigabit to business customers." Well it looks to them it's more interest on money in the end, then actually giving customers a worthwhile rate/price ratio.

I'm able to get a 15/10 speed at best, from my ISP and really that's about it. Sure I can jump ship to cable, but the hassle isn't worth it IMHO. Room for internet in terms of home layout, just isn't viable in terms of anything. Also the prices / rates are terrible here in Canada, making it feel like a black hole for internet sometimes.

The demand is always there for top speeds. The demand is NOT there for ISPs to price their top speeds over $50/mo in most cases. I am not willing to pay $100/mo for 1Gbps internet speed. Another thing to consider is this sham of monthly data caps. Why would I want a 1Gbps download speed when the data cap will run out in no time if the connection is fully utilized?

If you build it, they will come. The possibilities are endless. Really, the history of laughable quotes from some of the most visionary figures in tech history should really indicate a pattern... We can always do more, with more.

You said it, man. And there is already plenty which companies want to do (think OnLive in 4k!!), but are limited by the fact that everyone has poor connections. wah wah.

I'd just be happy if my ISP offered upload speeds greater than 1/16th of what my download speeds are.

For all those ppl that feel that they are trapped by lack of ISP providers in their area. GO CELLULAR!! There are MANY prepaid services that you can get that would allow you to get online w/o having to go through Time Warner. I would suggest you either check with your cell phone provider or check out Virgin Moble. Virgin has a unlimited 4G package at $55.00. Just food for thought.

When you get throttled to 1/10th your actual speed for using 2gb of your "unlimited" plan, its not unlimited.

There's obviously some demand, but it's incredibly limited. Most devices that people own would be a bottleneck at the moment anyways. There needs to be a road map for it to be available in the future though.

I would happily have Gbit to the house.
The only problem I see is the severely chocked offshore routers out of Australia will still be severely chocked making the increase in performance onshore

Secondly, the price we would be charged for the service would prohibit uptake of this service anyway

So in saying that "Residential customers reportedly have shown little interest in their top tier Internet package." is a statement on the interest of paying the cost, not the interest speed of the service.

Yeah there is no demand from them because of the ridiculous price it would cost.

Personally... Download speeds of 1GB would be cool but I barely make use of the 10mb that I currently have. The one thing I would like to see improved would be the upload speed. I'm not interested in torrents or "sharing" my media/data to the world but would love the increased upload speeds to better stream our personal media library to our devices (phones/tablets).

1Gbit? Pfft, give us some decent 10-20mbit coverage and I'm good.

When I first saw Rogers had 100mbit I was excited... until I saw the download cap was the same as the 10mbit option (250GB/mo). Not sure if that's how it is still being executed, but if it is, I don't want it.

*update*
Just looked and they have a 150mbit option with, you guessed it, 250GB/mo for $122cdn/mo. :|

Yes, because getting 50-down/10-up for over $100/mth is completely worth it...makes sense.

Okay, I demand 1 gigabit service. I also want the prices google does.

So now there is a "Demand" get to it bitches.

Back