To 64-bit or not to 64-bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
For the past year we have been hearing a lot more of 64-bit as the next big step in personal computing. Put in simple terms, going 64-bit would double the amount of data a CPU can process per clock cycle.

It's true a 64-bit desktop computer won't make your word processing program run faster (sorry, you're the bottleneck in that equation). But a 64-bit chip has the power to dramatically improve the performance of your more demanding applications, such as audio and video encoding, complex engineering programs like CAD, and--of course--games. And in the long term, 64-bit computing will give programmers much more power to play with, and could revolutionize what desktop software can do.

Intel has been offering Itaniums to the server and workstation markets for some time now, we all know AMD Opterons are available already & AMD's next mainstream piece, the Athlon 64 will arrive later this year. PC World has an article explaining short and long-term advantages we are most likely to see with the arrival of the next generation of desktop computers.

It will take some time for this technology to mature. CPUs have been 32-bit in PCs for years now, since chips were around that were A LOT less complex than the sorts of things we have now. 64-bit is a long journey that will go on for a long, long time.

What that also means is that it may be years and years before you really see what 64-bit can do.

But one thing is for sure - its the future, and its coming.

I agree... short term advantages for 64-bit CPUs will be seen in the next 2-3 years, which isn't a lifetime after all. Like that article points out however, gamers are most likely the first to see the advantages the more advanced technology will bring.

I think we'll first need to see 64 bit drivers before we get the full effect of 64 bit, but before that the 64 bit OS and then 64 bit apps will come out.

Yeah, I'm mildly excited too. But don't get caught up in the hype.

Not just JSR... All of you! Don't get caught up in the hype...!

And certainly don't rush out and buy the first thing that says 64-bit on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back