To XP or not to XP (from M.E.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve B

This'll either be ignored, or open up a whole can of worms...

Can get XP from a friend, Running M.E now. I haven't any real complaints with it, but thought it might be high time to upgrade.

I've recently upgraded my whole system, so, is it worth the effort?

Thanks in advance, STEVE.

ps. My Nod factors are fine!?!:grinthumb

As a general warning.. keep a backup of your ME partition if you do upgrade, especially if it's a laptop. Laptop hardware is notorious for working ONLY with the operating system that it came with, or being flaky in future versions of windows.

Also, XP has many older programs it doesn't run nicely. Annoying.. but I think in general I've been happier with it on my main hoss machine. After going through winguides and tweaking the menus, it's been stable (save a stuck bit in a RAM chip I have, not XP's fault). Just be sure to stay updated!

You will NOT regret it my friend...DO IT!!

I did and I'm NEVER looking back , allthough I did a complete reinstall , NOT an upgrade.

You can get the whole program on the upgrade disk (SAVES MONEY!!) , but when it asks you what you want to do , first delete the partition , then choose to do a complete install.

FIRST!!!

Do a search on "how to install drivers after installing XP" or somthing of the kind , because you will need all new drivers for your hardware that are compatible with XP.
I have a list I use:
1)XP
2)sp1 (if its not allready on your disk)
3)DX 9b
4)mobo drivers (if any are needed)
5)all other drivers
6)Enjoy!!

Good Luck!!:grinthumb

Go for it, you won't regret it. If you recently upgraded your hardware there's no reason to stay with winME, you'll be happier with xp.

Originally posted by erickdj
Go for it, you won't regret it. If you recently upgraded your hardware there's no reason to stay with winME, you'll be happier with xp.

Ditto! Do it! :grinthumb

Unanimous then....

Righto, I'll do it. Ihave all the drivers etc.

Next time I logon I'll be in the 21st century. Will my Commodore 64 support it?

just joking, it's a VIC20:grinthumb

T H A N K S ALL

Originally posted by Goalie
Also, XP has many older programs it doesn't run nicely.

can you give some examples of this because i dont believe this to be true at all. xp even has a compatibility mode for programs to work properly if they are giving errors. and xp has the best driver support i've seen from any os and you shouldn't have to do any thinking at all for an upgrade.

at any rate.... definately go with XP. windows ME is the worst OS that MS has ever released and XP is simply just better in every way imaginable (minus the fact it's more resource demanding, but that's to be expected). the only way i would recommend sticking to ME, well no i wouldn't recommend it even under this situation, is if you have an ancient computer that cannot run XP. and if that were the case (which apparently it is not, seeing as how you said you've upgraded) i would go BACK to win98 instead of using winme even though 9x isn't supported anymore.
there is a long thread about it somewhere on the forum (i think it was these forums at least) that has a lot of info for you on this.

Heh, heh, yeah I can't imagine why you would keep ME unless you like rebooting every few hours and you like the blue screen of death.....

Stonekeep, Epic Pinball, Battle Spire are three I can name off the top of my head.

For the record, I have ME on my laptop, and it's been rock steady (beyond a period when I had a faulty mobo. Replaced mobo, error went away). Hardly ever blue screens (my XP box does it more, but there's hardware involved in that too..) Also, the laptop has several pieces of hardware which wouldn't run under Win98 due to lack of a drivers. XP I think would run, but seeing as the laptop is my work box right now, I need to have it up 24/7. I hope to soon get to a point where I can backup and migrate this to xp, btw.. I think I would be happier overall in XP on this laptop (if it works) due to other program compatibility issues.

Just keep in mind.. there are certain times when ME can be better than XP. Although I grant you most of them are pretty extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back