Tor & other proxies

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfersaiyan

hi guys,

i'm having a bit of trouble with my install of Tor (the onion router). i wonder if anyone can help me with this or suggest something else.

i installed it a couple of months ago and it worked fine, but now it just wont work!

none of the settings had changed between then and now til i decided to muck with it! but now i've just switched it back to 'direct connection to the internet' mode in firefox so i can be online.

i am with telstra bigpond (ISP - aus), if that makes any difference.

i just wanna proxify myself so i can use the BBC iPlayer, and i need to 'appear to' be in the uk for it to work. (exit node must be uk).

any help appreciated.:chef:

lol.

I can understand that! Strangely :rolleyes:

Here's the download for Tor again: https://www.torproject.org/torbrowser/dist/tor-browser-1.1.1_en-US.exe

You can have multiple folders with Tor in them if you like. (ie just change the install path)

Just download and install where-ever.
The only issue is all your bookmarks stay in the specific folder that you start Tor with. So you can just copy and paste them if you like.

Let me know how you go. Here or elsewhere :cool:

Kim

whoa there!

cheers kim... i still have tor installed so i dont really have to download it again. and since i re-installed it only last week i'm pretty sure i have an up-to-date version.

i'm not sure why i'd have tor set up in multiple folders, and i dont really get the bit about bookmarks.

so is it the settings i have wrong? its just that whenever i hit the tor-button to switch over to proxy surfing, i just get a message in firefox saying "Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections."

what the...

Bookmarks=Favorites

What I am saying is to redownload TOR (yes the same version that you have)
Then set it up again
Then switch to UK (from US) Tor enabled

You also might want to check your own network settings (your own?) Yes your own!
If you go into your own network settings, inside Firefox (Tor of course) then remove any proxy that is presently there.

actually the link you gave me to download a new version was a fully included version which has FF as part of it and can run from a usb stick.

i have been using the Tor/Vidalia bundle, probably from the main site but i'm gonna pif that and use the one from the link you suggested.

thats why you were talking about bookmarks, since this version has the browser in-built. cool.

i'm gonna try and have this setup on a usb stick and only use that for watching iPlayer.. if i can get it to work.. wish me luck!!

HEY!! i managed to get the usb version working not bad actually! its a bit slow but thats the price you pay for a little anonymity!

only thing is i just cant get it to exit in the uk.

oh, and i killed my full version firefox too. i totally ripped it out because ever since the FF3 episode the other day it was really sluggish and weird.

i uninstalled it, deleted the folders & profiles, ran 'tracks eraser' and then i ran 'reg-supreme pro' (1.1) to get rid of obsolete registry entries.

i re-installed 2.0.0.16 (i think) but when i try to use it, it just says there is another instance of firefox already running (before i started to use tor version) and that i should stop that version and re-try or restart my machine.

neither works.

so! i guess i have 2 questions. how to i change tor to uk exit and what the F is goin on with FF?

i just cant get it to exit in the uk.
What do you mean Exit? (now I do realize this is the main reason for you thread)

By the way does us work?
Does Tor enabled work at all?

As for Firefox (and I realize you said Tor was not installed then)
Have you fully uninstalled all of Firefox? You may need to remove the actual Program group too. (just Start-->Run these explorer shortcuts
Here: "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox"
And here: %appdata%\Mozilla

Thanx for sticking with me on this Kim!

Tor Enabled now works fine, if a little slow. but when i check the proxy i am connected to (exit node) its always something like germany or france. i want it to be uk.

because bbc will not show me content i want unless i appear to be in the uk.

so i need to be able to specify the proxy i am connecting to.

am i making ANY sense ?? :confused:

ps, thanx for the FF tips too.

I have to open Tor to remind me of all this again :suspiciou

Please wait... I'll edit later (5 or 10 mins, sometimes Tor takes ages!)

Just have a coffee, and refresh the page in a bit (note: this is all happening whilst I'm replying to others too.

Edit:

If you click on
File
Flush Tor

Does it help?

God! I got caught up, it always happens!

I'm still working on it, I think it's to do with your Firewall or port allowances

sorry to have you running around kims!

i have fixed [stupid] firefox. no worries there. (my standard install i mean).

thanx for the tips on Tor in your last post. i've been sat at this computer for an obscene amount of time this morning so i'm gonna run the usb tor/firefox and muck about with it later.

cheers again.:eek:

Yes :)

It seems not all servers are available to everyone (as you have no doubt seen already) There are many possible reasons for this, but the main one is just "none available" The idea is to keep trying! (servers that is) That's the only response I have to fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back