Toshiba cutting warranties for all OCZ's non-SSD products

Scorpus

Staff member

Towards the end of 2013, Toshiba agreed to purchase the bankrupted OCZ for $35 million in a deal that included all of OCZ's assets, their development team and SSD technology. Although the brand has been kept alive as OCZ Storage Solutions, a number of product warranties have been killed, as a recent report details.

If you happen to own a recent, high-end OCZ solid state drive, you're in luck: Toshiba is honoring the full warranty of the entire Vertex series, the Vector series and most RevoDrives. Warranties for the mid-range Agility drives - which were originally three years long - have been shortened, and will end on January 22, 2015.

All other solid state drives, including budget models and discontinued series, are no longer under warranty; neither are any of OCZ's non-SSD products, such as their PSUs, DRAM modules, DIY notebooks and USB drives. Some of these products, such as OCZ's PSUs, are still available from retailers, and it seems they will be completely out of warranty from the moment you purchase them.

Buyers in several countries may have warranties honored thanks to strict consumer protection laws, but it would still be wise to check the warranty page for any OCZ product you're thinking of buying in the future.

Permalink to story.

Wait, does this mean all people who have recently purchased products with warranties get their warranties cut? isnt that like, super illegal? That doesnt seem possible...

Anyway, maybe this means the OCZ warrantieless products will go into super sales now...they werent the most reliable of products but not the most unreliable either.

Most individual retailers would still replace DOA stuff though right?

I have an OCZ PSU that still has 2 years left on it's warranty so far.

From what I can gather from UK law, Toshiba have no choice but to honour it. Still, this is a bit of a kick in the nuts for people out there who are not protected.

This irritated me as I had always used OCZ PSUs and RAM, but then again I've never had any of them fail. Wait, maybe a stick of 512MB DDR died once.

OCZ had been in trouble for so long I crossed them off my list long ago . I bought Smart and Friendly....gone I bought Aureal....gone. I just didn't want it to happen again

"Buyers in several countries may have warranties honored thanks to strict consumer protection laws"

Wait, what kind of stupid country wouldn't force Toshiba to enforce this warranties? I mean don't replace it fine just offer a full refund but if you bought the company you bought it's responsibilities you dickheads.

People forget Toshiba bought OCZ, it's now theirs to do with how they like. If you bought OCZs product but didn't pay attention that their company had been struggling for years long before Toshiba got involved that is your fault and yours alone.
I have never bought OCZ products. I always went with other companies. Never bought their memory, always went with G.Skill or Corsair and didn't get their SSD either, went with Samsungs pro series which imo is really good. Also went with Corsair psu instead of OCZ. Typically I usually go with Antec for psu but Corsair are really good.

So Toshiba is changing and discontinuing warranties, so what. Companies buy other companies all the time and things get changed.
Toshiba is not obligated to keep or maintain anything OCZ did. It's now their company. They may keep the OCZ name and some of it's top of line items but they didn't have to nor do they have to keep the lower end stuff, which they didn't.

Toshiba has been in computers for a long time. They have done it very well for the most part. A lot of people like their Satellite Laptops.
No company is perfect but I have used a couple of their laptops over the years and found them to be very good.

"Buyers in several countries may have warranties honored thanks to strict consumer protection laws"

Wait, what kind of stupid country wouldn't force Toshiba to enforce this warranties? I mean don't replace it fine just offer a full refund but if you bought the company you bought it's responsibilities you dickheads.

Basically if it's not written into law, that they have to honor it then you're out of luck. It goes to show that Toshiba is being really, a company who wants to screw consumers. Good thing I had no plans to look at OCZ hardware, or Toshiba to begin with at this rate. I'd be doubting they would do a 180 on their words, so let it be considered buyer beware about this.

Well that sucks, at least the SSD's get a warranty (Most of them) especially seeing as I own one lol. But the PSU's are the most important thing left to need a warranty which sucks because it looks like they will no longer be under warranty.

Yesterday I had an OCZ “PC Power & Cooling” 1200w PSU catch on fire, almost burn a hole in the surface it was sitting on (from inside a HAF XB case) while also cooking the inside of the PC, all in about 20 seconds before I could pull the plug. Ohh and when I say fire I mean FIRE! Scary to think what might have happened if I wasn’t home, never seen a PSU go like that.

So much for the overheat prevention and other safety features ;)

Yesterday I had an OCZ “PC Power & Cooling” 1200w PSU catch on fire, almost burn a hole in the surface it was sitting on (from inside a HAF XB case) while also cooking the inside of the PC, all in about 20 seconds before I could pull the plug. Ohh and when I say fire I mean FIRE! Scary to think what might have happened if I wasn’t home, never seen a PSU go like that.

I feel like in general, there should be something that should be able to be done about this more than a warranty. Like, "hey your product just pretty much killed 10 other products, are you gonna do anything about this?"

I know what you mean. It sucks when a PSU let’s go a takes something else with it such as a graphics card but is advertised to have overvoltage protection. I have also seen motherboards kick the bucket and take the CPU with them. I will grab a photo of the PSU soon, it’s pretty scorched.

Ohh and when I say fire I mean FIRE! Scary to think what might have happened if I wasn’t home, never seen a PSU go like that.
I'm gonna try not to think about it! I am happy to know you were home to quickly prevent further damage. My parents had a home lost by fire when I was 5. I know how financial recovery, can haunt someone for many years to follow. Even if you don't have any luck on a warranty claim, you were extremely lucky you didn't loose everything.

Steve said:
Which is one of the reasons I shut off my PC when leave the house or I'm not using it for awhile.
I feel like in general, there should be something that should be able to be done about this more than a warranty. Like, "hey your product just pretty much killed 10 other products, are you gonna do anything about this?"
There may be exceptions but all warranties I've seen limit their liability to repair or replacement of their product only, no collateral damage.

Which is one of the reasons I shut off my PC when leave the house or I'm not using it for awhile.

There may be exceptions but all warranties I've seen limit their liability to repair or replacement of their product only, no collateral damage.

Sadly that isn't really an option for me and others that run a business from home. Just have to buy good insurance ;)

I'm gonna try not to think about it! I am happy to know you were home to quickly prevent further damage. My parents had a home lost by fire when I was 5. I know how financial recovery, can haunt someone for many years to follow. Even if you don't have any luck on a warranty claim, you were extremely lucky you didn't loose everything.

Thanks mate. I actually had some friends over and they spotted it first.

Yes, that's true. A business environment can be different although, fortunately, where I worked I was able to shut down my PC when necessary.

Fire is one of my fears in using PSU's of modular design, especially with high power output. A higher number of connections in a system, has a greater chance of running into these issues.

The fire seems to have been external caused by heat from a faulty connector. The PSU itself may not be harmed.

The burnt out PSU.
That has the same look as the Rosewill Lightning 1300 I own with that whole pipe system. Even though they are part of OCZ, I wonder if they will honor anything since its a subsidiary (I doubt it but worth a try). Sorry to hear about that, glad no one was hurt, I hope it did not cause to much damage to your business system. I have never seen a one do something that serious before (Though I have heard about it) because thats clearly an actual fire that was started with the PSU.

Fire is one of my fears in using PSU's of modular design, especially with high power output. A higher number of connections in a system, has a greater chance of running into these issues.

The fire seems to have been external caused by heat from a faulty connector. The PSU itself may not be harmed.

I will take it apart later when I get a chance and see what let go. There is no chance I will try and put it back into commission ;)

Ohh and although this was a high output unit it would have only been sucking down about 200 watts from the wall at the time. Wasn't a beast of a system.

Last edited:
Toshiba, unfortunately for owners of OCZ gear, have to clean up all the warranty liability on the books. Owners get the pointy end. Makes sense if the liability is enormous and is short term pain. Will also cost good will. Not surprised but hope they come out a lot stronger.

Australia has 2 year compulsory warranty for certain goods so most are protected here. Apple stores copped the cane for not giving the full 2 years recently. If imagine a lot of countries don't have strong consumer protection.

Well to be honest what Toshiba bought is OCZ SSD division.
According to Anandtech, the PSU part already had a buyer and will be announced or so.

1. you're from techspot so Toshiba better replace it. a bad publicity in times of transition will spell bad luck for the management.
2. you're from the mighty u.s.a. where one can even sue for almost anything...like suing mcdonalds for a really hot coffee... :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

1. you're from techspot so Toshiba better replace it. a bad publicity in times of transition will spell bad luck for the management.
2. you're from the mighty u.s.a. where one can even sue for almost anything...like suing mcdonalds for a really hot coffee... :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

They supplied it as a sample so getting another isn't an issue if I want to risk it. I was more shocked that if I wasn't home it could have burnt the house down!

I am from mighty Australia :)

Well what do know, Superman is from down-under! (y)

Sorry about that, but it was a thought that crossed my mind. lol

Edit:
Speaking of down-under, has anyone watched the movie Upside Down? I often wonder if that is how some Australians feel those of us from the USA look at them.

Back