Toshiba Libretto now available for pre-order in the US

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Toshiba's dual-screen clamshell tablet is officially on sale in the States, courtesy of Amazon.com. The site has opened a pre-order page for an iteration of the Libretto, model W105-L251. The device packs twin 7-inch multi-point touchscreens, with one acting as a standard computing display and the other serving as a software keyboard. The secondary display can also be utilized for other tasks, such as an extended reading area for ebooks.

Internally, the Libretto contains a 1.2GHz Intel Pentium U5400 processor, an Intel IGP, 2GB of DDR3 RAM, a 62GB SSD, and an 8-cell battery pushes the weight to around 1.6lbs -- on par with the iPad. It measures 1.2 inches thick and offers a handful of standard connectivity options, including one USB port, a microSD slot, WiMAX, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. The featherweight runs a full copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, and yes, it supports Flash.

Amazon has the W105-L251 pegged for $1,100, but we're not sure when it'll ship. If you're willing to throw down an extra $400, Conics is selling Japanese exports with the operating system converted to English. That's where WoW-PoW (the reviewer in the above video) purchased their Libretto W100.

Permalink to story.

Impressive! Good it's not running Android OS, but I rather have Windows OS 7 that's great. Price I hope it's more like the was posted around $400 bucks. I would buy one right now!

I wonder how versatile the touchscreen capability can be as multitouch seems to be best for smartphone devices.Also when you clam the clamshell, it looks quite chunk due to the full OS on it. Although I like the simplicity of iPad, but the dual screen capability of Toshiba Libretto means I can work my document while check email on the other screen, besides I can add external media like USB drive if I need to. May get one in couple months time.

Back