Toshiba refreshes notebook lineup, ships 3D model to US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Toshiba refreshed its notebook lineup this morning, adding various new models as well as polishing some existing offerings. Most of the new units are standard fare, but a few stand out: the 3D-capable Satellite A665 and the Optimus-equipped M645.

Packing a 15.6-inch 120Hz display, the A665 can handle stereoscopic 3D via Nvidia's 3D Vision kit and features an Intel Core i7-740QM processor, an Nvidia GeForce GTS 350M graphics chip, 4GB of RAM, a 640GB HDD, a Blu-ray player, and a 12-cell battery. Pricing starts at about $1,600 for the 3D iteration, but if you've already dismissed 3D media as a fad, other A66x-series notebooks start as low as $799.

The 14-inch M645 is a scaled down build of the A665 with a wide range of CPU options, including Core i3, i5 and i7 chips as well as AMD's Phenom II Quad Core processors. It uses Nvidia's Optimus GPU switching technology to auto-toggle between the GeForce 310M or 330M and the IGP. Other specs include a Blu-ray drive, a 7200RPM HDD, and the connectivity we've all come to expect.

The M645 has a base MSRP of $730 and both above-mentioned notebooks are expected to be available through retailers, e-tailers and Toshiba's own online store come June 20.

Permalink to story.

"...but if you've already dismissed 3D media as a fad, other A66x-series notebooks start as low as $799."

Trust me - it's a fad. ;)

It may be a fad, but obviously is the most convincing fad so far! Convincing enough people actually will buy this!

Pfft...it's a fad - had an opportunity this evening to "experience" the Sony 3D setup with the "super special active glasses" - it's a fad - how they are managing to pull off this con I don't know...

I think that right now it's a fad, but it will eventually become the future. If we can do it so there is no need for glasses (like the new Nintendo 3DS is working on) then 3D will start to kick in. Right now, the glasses are too expensive and just cause headaches for most people (I could go hours with no problem, but one of my friends and my wife can't last 15 minutes). There is still some improvement to be made (the annoying glasses and the limited viewing angle) but society has shown that it is interested in this technology, so manufacturers will continue to perfect it. 3D is NOT going to go away forever. It'll have its off times, but it aint going to just disappear forever.

And now I step down from my soap box, lol.

The main things I see wrong with the 3D model is the lowly DX10 GPU with DDR3,no USB 3 ports and a crappy resolution(1366x768).

Why not 1920x1080 for Full HD to watch Blu ray movies on the included player?

A+ though for the 740QM CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back