Toshiba Satellite shuts off after 10 min

Status
Not open for further replies.

garym

I have a Toshiba Satellite A85-S107. It takes longer to boot up and has been running a lot slower. I use to be able to burn a CD in minutes but now takes much longer and I can't run the virus checker because the laptop shuts down before it completes it's scan. Basically I can't do anything as the it will shut down after about 10 minutes. Would this be a power supply or software problem?

Thanks,
Gary

Actually usually Heat related

Try going to Safe mode
Repeatively press F8 function key at Windows Startup, then choose Safe mode

If it stays on for more than 10 mins (well forever) in Safe mode, then it's not PowerSupply or Heat, but actually some program doing it.

Try running MSCONFIG and disable all startups, and go back to Normal mode.

If it still restarts in Safe mode, it's probably heat related
First try without the battery in (as the battery can cause heat on its own
Also unplug any external device (usb mouse or printer, so forth)

use the Toshiba Control Panel to verify Max Cooling is in effect, Alarms don't trigger
shutdown, and that you Never Power Off on battery conditions

First thanks for the replies. I did all these checks and pretty much determine that this is heat related. It will shut off with or without the battery in. When the laptop shuts off the bottom of the laptop is very warm. If I keep it elevated a bit where the fan has some circulation the laptop stays on.

My next question is how to take the laptop apart to get to the fan. I have a toshiba satellite A85 and can not find any dissassembly instructions on the net. any help is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back