Toshiba Satellite shutting down

Hello, hello!
This is my first post so apologies if I do anything incorrectly!

I have an old Toshiba Satellite which is old and crotchety so I decided to take the chance to 'play' with it with the intention of fixing it up a bit and passing it on to someone else who could use a computer.
I uninstalled lots of things, cleaned it up - all good. I took it apart, gave it a good clean - all good apart from when I took the screen off; both of the hinges were snapped at the bottom and just fell apart when I lifted it up. So I ordered some new hinges, they arrived this morning, I put them in, put the laptop back together and turned it on. All seems well and good.
EXCEPT - it has now started shutting itself down. It's not a battery problem because the battery hasn't been in it yet. At first I thought it was something I had done to the screen because it did it when I was tilting the screen but I have since realised that it's when I touch the touch-pad or indeed anywhere along the front underneath the keyboard. It seems to be fine - as long as I don't touch it!
Have I done something heinous to the laptop or can I sort this out? I really hope I haven't killed it!

Side note - I blame PC World for so many things; they are the only people who've had their paws on it in the past and there are a few screws missing (no - I didn't lose them!), a couple of screws that are the wrong size and the hinge screws are too big, one of which, as I was screwing it back in shredded the groves I think cause now it just turns and turns... before I bust a gasket with this: if anyone has any tips as to how to get this screw back out again I'd appreciate that too!

Thank you VERY much in advance for any help.

..."I took it apart, gave it a goo d clean"...Did you remove the CPU fan(s) or heat-sink assembly?

No, I didn't take those off, I wasn't brave enough to touch them (and also didn't see a reason to remove them really). I did take the motherboard out though, to try and remove dust. I used a paint brush and some compressed air for dust removal.

Hello,
Yes, sorry I didn't think anyone would be particularly interested. You said remove most of the screws, but I had yet to put back a lot of them (not wanting to go to that extra effort before I was sure the laptop was working).
So, what I did was take it apart again; double, double check that everything was connected properly and that the mobo wasn't touching anything it shouldn't be. I also slightly changed which holes would be the ones missing screws (because of the shortage of them), put it all back together again and bingo! We have a movable computer!
The first boot and it got BSOD; second boot and it froze; third boot and all seems well (so far).
So, thank you very much for your advice. I guess I must have done one little thing somewhere along the line that was screwing with it. Now if only I can get the decrepit old thing to run a little faster :)

Back