Touring Microsoft, Sony and Apple Stores on Windows 8’s Launch Day

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/593-touring-microsoft-store/]https://www.techspot.com/article/593-touring-microsoft-store/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

I liked the ending... so, if I want a system where getting pictures from an SD card presents a challenge, I will opt for an iPad. Peripheral simplicity is where Windows 8 devices are expected to stand out as opposed to Apple products. In case they fail, like told in this article, they become a doubtful choice over Apple.

I don't understand the difficulty around pulling off photos from the SD card. It's the same process as with Windows 7...

This is about consumers having a great experience with Microsoft that they may not have had in a long time.? My eyes went wide. He said, Yes, really.?

People forget what MS has been putting up with for the last decade. As part of their antitrust suit with the justice department over netscape and IE, they've had justice department officials in their offices for the last 10 years.

Here's a story about it from PC world http://www.pcworld.com/article/69403/article.html and here's a quote from that story specifically regarding the settlement.
"?A panel of three independent, on-site, full-time computer experts to assist in enforcing the settlement, with full access to Microsoft's books, records, systems, and personnel, including software source code.

This is finally over and it's one reason MS is so pumped about Win 8. Win 8 is the first thing to come out of MS since Win 95 that didn't have the justice department's fingers in it.

VitalyT, treeski This is something that actually happened, and it did on a W8 equipped Sony all-in-one. Shameful, we know.
MilwaukeeMike. This is what the store manager said. Not our words, hence the surprised reaction.

Having that said, remember this is an anecdotal, editorial piece.
Fairly good read from Nathaniel. Here's another great article by him on TS.

It's time for a change from Windows 7 doesn't play too nice with touch screens. So why not devote a new OS version to tablet running Windows 8. To push the Surface tablet. Everyone pretty much on Windows today but with Android it's not the same without using a Windows tablet. So if you had a Windows desktop or laptop or smartphone? I am sure you get that Surface tablet so you can continue on with your life and files. Android could have make it streamline but you have to download and use Google Play Store and with Windows Non-RT version you can just download anywhere. Android you could slide load apps to it but but Windows is so much easier..

Anyway enjoy your new Surface.. I hope they build a new MS Store nearby me soon!

If you want to see a store that knows Windows 8 go to Staples, I am a Easy tech there, we had a big deal with Microsoft, we had a lot of training, if the techs at the store finished the training they can show you a lot about windows 8, Plus each store should have a MS advisor in it.

My first upgrade from Vista to Win 8 was seamless, anybody can do it, all my files were intact. Had to re install MS Office 7. Already used to Lenovo Thinkpad tablet therefore transition to win 8 on my HP laptop (couple of years old), was easy. Like the Search Page, it offers installed programs panels, easy to pin or unpin programs. I love it. One important feature, when Win 8 goes to sleep after no activity asks for password when activated.

That was a fun read. Would be interesting to see a follow-up about a month from now.

This is what the store manager said. Not our words, hence the surprised reaction.

yeah I know... I pasted in both your quotes, however for some reason quote marks show up as question marks when they are pasted. I mention it because, you, like many other seem surprised, but very few rememeber that MS has been handicapped for 10 years. I think it's fun and interesting to get a 3rd big player in this market, even if many think the lack of apps 7 days in is something to be worried about.

Lmfao--a tech? an easy tech? staples is by far the worst 'tech' place to go. worse than geek squad!

thanks for the laugh!

That is very disappointing as a sale assistants job in a Sony store, here, is a very hard one to get because you have to be very well versed in your product and the perks you get from the company are well worth sticking around for quite some time.

Tsktsktsk...

Interesting information because I was at the Sony Store last week messing around with the 13.3 inch touchscreen cxs windows 8 laptop and the rep that helped me seemed very knowledgeable about windows 8. He navigated me seamlessly through the OS and the overall GUI with the tiles and how to customize it with your favorite programs. The initial screen after boot up can also be personalized with the current time and each individual user having their own picture ID... a rather large one unlike the micro pics on Windows 7. This new OS makes the device more personalized as opposed to just a machine. It's unfortunate you had a bad experience but I felt much better informed about windows 8 after leaving the Sony store.

The article seemed slightly biased against Sony and Windows 8 as a whole. I have personally always shopped at Sony Woodbury, NY and have received nothing but professional service and consultation from the reps about their products. The author, who's already lost credibility with this article, mentions overhearing an associate assisting another customer in the store. By eavesdropping, one does not absorb the entire conversation. In addition, the topic of the article was his personal experience in a technology- based retail store in regards to Windows 8. It is unusual that he would even mention that he visited an Apple store because it is completely off topic that the author would ask a competitor of the Windows 8 OS their opinion of it's release. It is appalling. In doing so he has proven that he is biased against Windows 8.

I installed windows 8, and there is a Facebook app on the release I got. I love that you can integrate it into Facebook chat and the big pop ups when someone convos you is pretty amazing. It also takes all your Facebook photos and shows them in "my photos" very cool. is the Operating system on this touch device different to windows 8 then?

Give the Sony stores some credit...

This past week I drove down to the Woodbury Common outlet, in New York, where there is a Sony outlet store. The staff was incredibly knowledgable and friendly. I had some computability questions and the associate answered it to the best of his ability...considering there is still a plethora of questions in regards to Windows 8. I purchased two laptops equipped with Windows 8 and have no qualms about my latest endeavor. I will recommend this store to anyone looking to purchase your next electronic gadget/device. In addition, I want to commend their service as they set up multiple charging stations for those without power during this storm. Excellent staff!

The Vaio E series looks like Sony's best deal. From looking at the Sony website, you can get one custom made with a touch screen for around $850 with an i5 processor. It's not an ultrabook, but trade in thin and light and you get 8GB RAM, 1600x900 res, and an optical drive. For fifty bucks more you can add a dedicated graphics chip. The machine has screws on the bottom too. You can replace the battery.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to get, but the options are looking better than they were a few weeks ago. I wonder when Microsoft is going to release Surface Pro (might be after I wind up buying something else...)

In ways, this article was informing because consumers do want to know what Microsoft 8 is all about. But I do not understand the purpose of even including Apple in this because the way the author presents it, he's making it seem as if the new launch does not even effect Apple. Who cares whether or not it is? My mother and I were recently in a Sony store looking for a laptop and the staff were all extremely helpful. My mother is technologically troubled and they were able to break down everything for her to be able to understand and took the time to show her how everything worked. They were very helpful and the sales associates had great product knowledge and we left with a great new purchase. We go to Sony for all of our electronic needs and never had a bad experience. Given, uploading photos from an SD card is not difficult, but at least find out why it was causing problems for the Sony associate instead of eaves dropping; why not be part of the conversation and join it before just discussing the negatives of your experience.

The article talks about store experiences which vary from amazing to abysmal depending on the store you happened to go to. I have had miserable service from Apple stores while getting amazing service from Sony Outlets and other smaller stores. Its a personal thing and seems like tough luck for the author that he happened to meet various people. I read these blogs and articles to gain information about the tech not the store experiences. But kudos for trying. Still keep an open mind about where you went and the service you got. Not all stores are the same should not be a scale to judge tech in particular.

Poor training of the staff at SONY using the SD card on Windows 8 not an issue. I find the SONY store near me the staff seems to not know as much as I do when it comes to their SONY SMP-N100 and SMP-N200 Network Media Players. I try not to act like I know it but still come guys.. Apple Store was busy on my end I don't go into it I'll just browse by it.. SONY store has the same type of traffic. Microsoft Store suppose to be coming here soon. Too late to get the customers rally up to buy the Surface RT.

Back