Trading HDD to SSD

RenGood08

Hello,

I was just wondering if there was a possibility to change my laptop which runs on an HDD hard drive to an SSD hard drive. I was kind of curious if that kind of transition is possible. I'm doing some changes to it at the moment anyway since I had to get a new DVD drive. Still doesn't make any sense on how it got corrupted. I ran virus scans, rootkit scans, and malware scans. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. (which I couldn't since it claimed it was either not working or corrupted.) I looked through my temp files and nothing suspicious. If I wasn't sure about something I Googled it and got my answer. I get hardware dies at some point in a computer's lifespan...but it's only 2 years old! Any ideas on either of my points?

Sincerely,

Ashley Goodlock

Hard drives can fail at any time. Same with any electronic device.

Yes, you can buy an SSD and a USB-SATA adaptor and then clone the drives, meaning you can just swap them out.

I wouldn't do that, considering you have corrupt Windows files.

Backup any important files you may need or want to keep and re-install Windows is one option for fixing the corrupted files. You could also try to restore Windows to an earlier state, but that does not always work correctly.

It would be much less of a hassle if you go for the SSD and do a fresh clean install of your Windows.

I think you might be right. I was backing up my pictures and important files to my external hard drive last night and I noticed that when I'm under computer and you can choose what drive to do to, my C: has a yellow exclamation point on it. Something happened I don't know what. But something has messed up my laptop. Might be better off starting over again!

Well everyone, as an update to this laptop issue I had, I figured it out. I had to delete the UpperFilter registry file then restart. Now it works fine. I installed Windows 8.1 on it anyway just for different scenery. I also did so to have a wider range in knowledge on how it works. =)

Back