Travelmate 5520 won't boot if left more than 6 hours

Just bought a reconditioned Acer Travelmate 5520 for my daughter.
Windows 7 installed instead of original XP.
First time turned on it got to the first Windows logo then black screen. Fans turning, power light on, but nothing happening.

By disconnecting the battery a couple of times, the computer then booted perfectly. Once properly booted I can turn it off and on as much as I like. But if I leave the computer off overnight, or asleep for more than about 6 hours, it won't boot or wake up. Just the black screen with fans turning.

Again, I disconnect the battery a couple of times and everything is fine till the next time the computer is left unused for 6 hours or more. Yes, I can take it back to the store but I'm pretty sure they won't want to put much time in to a 300$ computer and they'll probably just offer the only other model they had for the same price, that my daughter didn't want.

I would like to resolve this issue rather than change the computer. I know it works fine, once past the time-related boot problem. I've updated BIOS drivers even though I don't think it was necessary. No change. This problem existed right from the start so it's nothing to do with the Acer hardware drivers I've installed since I got it.

After leaving the computer unplugged their was no issue with date or time suggesting the CMOS battery is still ok.

Note: the computer was made for XP. The installation of Windows 7 obviously destroyed all the Acer drivers like the webcam and the touch pad - which I downloaded from the Acer web site. Everything works fine. It looks like by pressing on the power button for a few seconds, that does the same thing as disconnecting the battery, so startup may be a little more elegant tomorrow morning but it's still not very practical.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Paul

No, I didn't think of that. But the problem was the same wether it was plugged in to the wall or not. Anyway, I had to go in to town today so I took it back to the store. I'll post the verdict when they get back to me. The guy thought it was no big deal and easy to fix... Ha, we'll see :)

"But the problem was the same whether it was plugged in to the wall or not"... A bad laptop battery can cause all sorts of problems as long as it is still installed whether if the laptop is plugged in or not

Back