Trojan from a DHL message and McAfee asked for more subscription fee to 'clean' my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pc was infected recently from a fake DHL message. Pop-ups masquerading as windows security and the slowing down make it hard, even impossible to operate my pc. even though I am subscribing to McAfee. So I called up McAfee and the guy at McAfee wanted $130 for a clean-up via remote assistance by a tech.He explained that the fee was for a once off cleaning service and that I shouldn't have opened the mail - I should have heeded the McAfee pop-up warning. I tried to explain that there was no pop-up warning and that similar email (DHL types) are still in my Inbox! But no pop-up warnings from McAfee.I asked him why the McAfee security software did not stop the mail. His answer was that he was not a technician hence cannot answer. After the pop-up clean-up was performed I asked for a refund but without success. I requested a formal tax invoice online but no one replied.

Today I received more "DHL" email. My questions are below - can someone help me with some suggestions/info..?

I have just sighted a McAfee scan report for today and there were about 18 "detections" - one needed restart whilst the rest were quarantined. Do I need to do more? ( My pc is used for my small business and personal stuff including online banking and accounting software.)

Do I need to look for alternative security protection? The McAfee Site advisor seems a valuable tool to have.

Should they be charging the extra 130 for once-off cleaning? I am a current subscriber of their three-pc package.

Would other security software have dectected this trojan even tho it came as a zipped attachment?

Regards

If you suspect malware and want the system checked, please follow the steps HERE.

when you have finished, attach the 3 logs for review in your next reply.

Should they be charging the extra 130 for once-off cleaning? I am a current subscriber of their three-pc package.

As far as I know a subscription allow the use of a program for the time specified, with regular updating.
I cannot debate McAfee support policies. If you want a discussion on that, please move to the Windows OS forum.

The basic security you should have is:
One antivirus
One firewall (one software firewall can be combined with a router for added security.)
Two or more antimalware programs.

You should also know that NO security program guarantees to prevent all malware. That's why we suggested layered protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back