Trouble with power button

Fried?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Then what?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I just got a new case and PSU, and installed all of my old parts in it. Upon pressing the power button for the first time, the LEDs and fans received power for a short (less than a second) amount of time, then it went dead. After that pressing the power button did nothing. Until I switched off my PSU and waited for the motherboard's power indicator to go dead. Upon switching my PSU on again, the power button did the same thing (working once, than nothing). I did and hour or so of trouble shooting by checking wires, then ultimately rewiring everything from scratch. Same result. Tried with old PSU, same result. At this point I'm assuming the worst; I somehow fried my board, although I'm not sure how. I'm still clinging to the hope that somehow, one of the other parts is causing this. Like maybe the case or motherboard detects something wrong, and prevents itself from turning on?
When I get home I'll try the power button on the motherboard (I kind of forgot that one existed). Give any help you can, even if that means suggesting a good motherboard with LGA1156 for under $100.
Here's my build:
Case: NZXT Guardian
PSU: Raidmax 730W
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550ti
HardDrive: 2TB Seagate Barracuda (hardly relevant, but whatever)
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M PRO
CPU: Intel Core i3

Update: I have some new theories that I like much better than a fried motherboard.1. I might be overpowering my build (easy fix, just switch PSU to low power mode). 2. Circuit protection: Detected a problem with wiring the first time, and prevented booting. Could fix itself if I leave it alone for a while, and take out the BIOS battery.

Back