Troubleshooting Intel D975XBX

Vimm

Hi everybody! I'm having some problems with an OEM computer a relative bought some years ago.

At startup the CPU fan spins endless and computer does not boot. I tried a few cold boots and restarts and it finally booted. The HDD prompted that boot.ini was missing but it continued to start Windows for some reason. After a long time on the windows loading screen it took me to CHKDSK. 5 minutes later I heard 3 high beeps from the internal speaker and the system hangs. So I checked up the beeps on Intels website and it said that it was memory error,so I changed the RAM.

I fired it up again, just to be greeted with the same endless spinning of the CPU. After some more cold boots It booted up and did CHKDSK again until it beeped 3 times and hangs. So I did boots with nearly all my RAM sticks and still got 3 beeps (memory error (yes i have cleaned the DIMMs from dust))

Because of all this RAM changing I began to notice the LEDs in the computer fluctuating. Since the GFX is passive cooled it had no fans, So I decided to put one with fans in. When removed the GFX card it was so freaking hot, hotter than it should be. And when I inserted my 8800 GTS the fans also fluctuated when powered on. The HDD also began to do a cracking noice.

There had been a recent power outtake so I called my relative to ask if she was affected by it and she told me "Yes".

- Ok so the power went out, she did not care to turn off the PSU and when the power got on it surges and something or everything short-circuited.

So well, I hope I've been thorough enough. Is the motherboard failing due to the power outtage? How can I know for sure?

Thanks for taking your time.

Sounds mostly like a failing hard drive....
To prove the point for free, have you got a Linux disc that you can run 'Live' in the DVD drive?
Just go into the BIOS, (power on & tap F2 key straight away) ~ (But some pc's are 'esc' or 'del')
Change the boot order to 1)CD/DVD drive 2)HDD
then 'Save changes and exit' (usually F11)
Put the Linux disc in, reboot and see if it runs ok.
It will run slower than you are used to, but will prove everything works, and may point to the Hard drive or maybe the Windows O/S being at fault.
You could download the Linux O/S , but I have several that were given away on PC magazines. (eg. Ubuntu 10.10 ).
One advantage is you won't need to download any drivers for it, it's all on the disc and sets itself up. Used this method here several times.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-10-04-2-LTS-Is-Available-for-Download-184993.shtml
*Look for the link to 'Ubuntu live CD' (you would need to burn this file to cd to use it, I use 'Trueburner', the 'Burn ISO image' option).

Back