Trying to get dual monitor with laptop

Jskid

I've got an HP Pavilion Laptop and I'm trying to connect my Samsung SyncMater 915N to it. I've got Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I tried plugging my monitor in using a vga cable and pressing windows key-p but the external monitor didn't show anything and said "not optimum resolution". I tried changing settings and I screwed things up because I selected making the not working monitor the primary desktop:dead:

Any help is much appreciated

I'm using an external monitor with an HP Compaq 6715b laptop.
All I did to get it working was right click desktop, select properties, select settings tab.
External monitor was showing greyed out on the right of the primary. Clicked on it and selected "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". And it worked. Should also be able to adjust the external monitor resolution from here to make sure its in the range required by it. Although I'm using this XP machine just now so the instructions might be slightly different on Windows 7. Will check later when I am at home.

When I try to add the second monitor, the second monitor says "not optimum resolution" but I can't do anything about it because Windows won't let me change the #2 resolution (as circled in red)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

To compound the problem I was screwing around and I think the default is now the external monitor, which isn't working, so now I always need to press fn+f4 keys to switch screens

Might be worth looking to see if there is any driver available from Samsung for the monitor as a non-pnp monitor is not going to allow for much configuration as the system can't be sure what resolution and frequency it can support.

I downloaded the driver from the Samsung website and this is what I get when I run it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Do you know of any other sites I can try to get the driver from?

Back