Trying to get my computer working...

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I'm not sure which forum this belongs to, but let me know if I'm in the wrong one)

A while ago my hard drive failed. It was under warranty so I sent it back and got a new one. I plugged it in today, fairly certain that all of the plugs are correct (MSI motherboard)... but when I turn the computer one the screen reads "Boot Failure: insert boot disk in drive A:" Is this a bad thing? What am I to do? Thanks for any suggestions

QuaileDawg007 said:
(I'm not sure which forum this belongs to, but let me know if I'm in the wrong one)

A while ago my hard drive failed. It was under warranty so I sent it back and got a new one. I plugged it in today, fairly certain that all of the plugs are correct (MSI motherboard)... but when I turn the computer one the screen reads "Boot Failure: insert boot disk in drive A:" Is this a bad thing? What am I to do? Thanks for any suggestions

I'm going to take a stab in the dark at this, but have you actually installed windows on the new drive they sent you?,

I think your "stab in the dark" might have:
"hit the nail on the head"
"hit the bullseye"
"cut to the chase"
"made the mark"

That's it, that's all I got, I'm spent.

On a lighter side, QuaileDawg007 you need to format and maybe partition the new drive then install Windows or whatever OS like.

kirock said:
I think your "stab in the dark" might have:
"hit the nail on the head"
"hit the bullseye"
"cut to the chase"
"made the mark"

That's it, that's all I got, I'm spent.

On a lighter side, QuaileDawg007 you need to format and maybe partition the new drive then install Windows or whatever OS like.
That's probably the dumbest mistake anyone can make forgetting to put the OS back on a new HDD lol...no offense if that's what happened QuaileDawg007.

(I actually made a dumb mistake with a screwdriver and a fan while in motion. The two just don't mix while the fan is on lol.)

alright...

I know it might seem really dumb but I know I need to install an OS onto the HD. but I don't have the Windows CD yet so I wanted to make sure that it would work because these were the same types of errors I was getting when my HD failed. I've looked into the BIOS and the startup order and it says that there is s floppy and CD drive, but no HD installed... should I just get the windows CD and install it? or should I make a boot disk onto multiple floppies? Thanks

QuaileDawg007 said:
I know it might seem really dumb but I know I need to install an OS onto the HD. but I don't have the Windows CD yet so I wanted to make sure that it would work because these were the same types of errors I was getting when my HD failed. I've looked into the BIOS and the startup order and it says that there is s floppy and CD drive, but no HD installed... should I just get the windows CD and install it? or should I make a boot disk onto multiple floppies? Thanks
...oy....you don't want floppys at ALL. You want a CD, WAY BETTER!!!! Anyhow, you can d/l a Windows XP CD online and its illegal or buy one from the store and its legal. Your choice.

You need to have the HDD register in the BIOS menu or you have no hope of doing anything. Ensure the HDD is connected correectly and the 4pin molex connector from the power supply is plug into it as well. Reboot and enter BIOS, right arrow over to "Load Fail Safe defaults" Press enter and save and exit. Reboot into BIOS and ensure HDD is there. Go to the boot up order menu and set CD rom as 1st boot option. Now insert Windows installation CD in Cd , Save and exit Bios settings. Now when it boots you should see the windows installation menu and follow the instructions.

cheers.

ok...

ok thanks for the help guys... hey, say one were to try and obtain a copy of Windows XP (and for kicks, maybe even a CD key)... where would one try to do this? Is a P2P network required? Again, this is theoretical...

QuaileDawg007 said:
ok thanks for the help guys... hey, say one were to try and obtain a copy of Windows XP (and for kicks, maybe even a CD key)... where would one try to do this? Is a P2P network required? Again, this is theoretical...

The trouble with illegal copies ( i did use a word describing captain Hook but it got turned into stars) is that the CD keys are getting harder to find and even then if you find one you still have to activate windows within 30 days, if you manage to crack the activation, then you can't install any updates or service packs as they now all deactivate all known anti-activation cracks.

As to answer your original question, yes you can get all things via P2P, but they usually end up being full of viruses and spyware.

QuaileDawg007 said:
P2P Network is required but they usually contain viruses.

frustrated

I have this computer that I received from someone else and it was built... So I am not as familiar with it as I should be. Anyway, it got a virus, one thing lead to another, and in trying to fix it, Seagate told me that my hard drive had failed. So they sent me a refurbished one and I plugged it in exactly how the old one had been... and the computer is still not recognizing a hard drive. I've tapped into the BIOS and made sure it was on auto detect, but it isn't showing up. When I turn on the computer it says "boot failure please insert boot diskette." I made a "DiscWizard" HD partition disk, and it loaded on my computer, and told me how to plug the HD in, and I did it, but when I went to partition it, the computer could not recognize it. Is it likely that my new Hard Drive has also failed? How common is it that maybe the wires are bad? THanks for any help

dangerous talk bout pirating ,no allowed here be carefull
need more info on type of drive
the board and bios version of board
registered reseller of MS software PM me
links here on first page click on banner support techspot

Pirating is not condoned at Techspot. Thieves like you make us pay more money for legitimate copies.

Please close this thread.

about the board and HD

The Motherboard is from MSI... the specs are as follows

Chipset
• Intel® 865PE Chipset
- Supports FSB 800/533/400MHz
- Supports AGP 8X interface
- Supports DDR 400/333/266 memory interface

• Intel® ICH5 Chipset
- Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0) controller, 480Mb/sec, 8 ports
- 2 Serial ATA/150 ports
- 2 channel Ultra ATA 100 bus Master IDE controller
- PCI Master v2.3, I/O APIC
- Supports both ACPI and legacy APM power management

(Not sure if you need more information, that's what I got from the website)

The BIOS:
The information I found on the Bios running is AMI BIOS (MS 6728 PCBv1).

The Hard Drive:

Seagate ST-3120827AS (Barracuda 7200.7 120, Serial ATA NCQ)

If you need more information let me know, Thanks for any advice you might have, I know it sucks to work with computer *****s

could be your looking at wrong area for the drive info it is not ide
if you can get the manual need to find where it will show list of active hardware drives
you will need the sata drivers to load the OS so dwnld them with the update bios if your machine is older than 10/7/2004 you could be in need of bios upgrade.

if you gotta friend with a sata connection you can test it
local tech may be nice nuff to test in one of there riggs
I do it as courtesy
PS
they way you where talking bout P2P did not sound all that hypothetical
last ebay oem xp pro spk2 sold around 130.00

good luck

try and see if one of your friends has a winxp CD. then install winxp without activation (allowed for 30 days) and when you PURCHASE your own CD, activate it with your PURCHASED values.

Or buy an old version of windows.. like 98 or 2k from a friend for like $1 and buy the XP upgrade. its cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back