Trying to link pc to laptop both xp but no joy.........please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am trying to link up my pc to the laptop i have using a crossover cable and am now really confused.
according to both computers the only one in the workgroup is the one i am on at the time, the laptop is telling me that there is a connection but the pc is telling me there is limited or no connectivity and also on the xp network wizard when i choose the option "this comp connects to the internet and other comps in my network connect through this one" (designating it as the host) it tells me that other comps cannot connect through my pc even though i know i have two nic's.
i am trying to share a broadband connection between the two by the way so does that HAVE to have a hub/switch?

im sorry if this is a basic problem but i really dont have a clue when it comes to this type of thing so if the solution involves pinging or anything like that i will need instructions step-by-step .......... sorry :blush:

Welcome to Techspot !

I will take for granted that you are able to connect through Nic A and it is connected to your IP service, and that it is working.
I do not know if you are running Pro or Home the difference is not very important ,but there are differences.You can post back.
In the meantime ,You must have both Computers with one common Username and Workgroup name.You run networking wizard with both computers connected starting with the computer that has the IP connection.
You run the wizard from the nic' B ' icon that represents the connection to the other computer.
In XP home you must set up at least one Share (either folder or drive) before running the Wizard.
Make sure you Set' File and Printer shareing 'as you work through the wizard.
Also be aware that The wizard will change the name of your workgroup so you must type it in each time you run it.
Let us know how it works out.

ive just seen that the laptop doesnt have a network address!!!!!!!!
I guess this is important so does anyone know what address i should put in there??????????
:confused:

Set the PC with the internet connection, to use 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 for the NIC that connects it to the laptop.
Use 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 for the laptop, and also set its default gateway to 192.168.0.1. Use the same number for DNS1, you can leave DNS2 blank.

Are you using XP Pro or Home on both computers?
Do you have a Crossover type cable between the computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back