Two CryEngine 3 FPSs in development

UT66

City Interactive buys a CryEngine 3 license

http://www.city-interactive.com/index.php?m=news&id=news_133

Quote:
WARSAW, POLAND/NEW YORK, NY, October 28, 2010 - City Interactive, a fast-growing international publisher and developer of interactive entertainment, today announced that it has licensed the state-of-the-art CryENGINE ® 3 from Crytek GmbH to develop two new, but unannounced FPS games for release over the next couple of years.

Quote:
"We are certainly gratified by our overall growth and are excited about the potential of our upcoming product release schedule," - said Marek Tyminski, CEO of City Interactive. "We have licensed the CryENGINE®3, one of the most advanced game engines available, as a means to further develop some soon to be announced multi-platform games that will deliver amazing gaming experiences."

The FPS genre has a pretty high barrier of entry imo especially in the next couple years with the amount of big shooter franchises. And their current game Sniper: Ghost Warrior was only so-so received by critics. It'll be interesting to see what they develop, as a standard run of the mill FPS might just fade away. I say if they take some risks and develop something out side the box I'll be intrigued to try it.

Ghost Warrior had potential, but it really wasn't a good game. I wont get into detail as to why but it's interesting that they would license the engine when they haven't really established themselves as a mainstream company. Must have cost a pretty penny but then there's this:

Overall, City Interactive has experienced tremendous growth in terms of revenue, profit and market share. Recently featured on the cover of a European issue of Forbes magazine, City Interactive's worldwide Q1-Q3 revenue is up 230 percent compared to same period last year, with 2010 revenues projected to grow 219 percent above previous year with considerable profit projections. The company's market cap has increased 715 percent in the past two quarters to approximately $100 million (USD).

so more power to them i suppose, and you never know maybe they will be the next big FPS developer. all it takes is one killer game to be recognized and the rest just falls into place. wonder what they are planning...

i see this as nothing more than a good bullet point, the fact is, it doesn't even have to have great gameplay, just great graphics, there are a lot of people waiting to use their rigs properly.

are you kidding me? i agree that having great graphics in a game is a major plus, but i'm not the type of person that spends my hard-earned money on beautiful mediocrities. wanting to use their rigs properly... what does that even mean exactly? if you're a gamer you should be looking for solid gameplay and innovation in each genre, and to not solely rely on the graphics in order to enjoy it. while next generation graphics are a hot topic for game developers, i believe that a well-written and thought out story (along with dynamic and interesting characters) and polished gameplay should be the focal point for ALL developers. it's just a shame that most other people thing otherwise and that games that adopt these elements are a rarity nowadays.

o boy, im not that kind of person either, dont get me wrong i do care about graphics but game-play /innovation/ creativity always comes first ( portal, world of goo, plants vs zombies,trine ) all im saying is that there are a LOT of people like that. and im right. i think deeps inside they JUST NEED to justify their purchase, thats why benchmarks (@pene) are so important.

Back