Two DVD drives: won't work at the same time

childofthetao

What could be causing two dvd drives to not work at the same time? Individually they work, but when plugged in together only one works.

They are SATA DVD writers running on a quad core intel computer on windows 7 64bit. I can't be anymore specific because it's my dad that's having this problem.

Thanks

Some motherboards use two different brands of SATA controllers and, therefore, use two different drivers. If one of the drivers is not installed, any device plugged into it won't work. Could this be the case here?

Are they both showing up as letters d: e: f: ?

No, when both drives are connected simultaneously only one drive shows. I'm not 100% certain, but I think the non-working drive shows up in my computer for a few seconds before disappearing. If double clicked before disappearing nothing happens.

mailpup said:
Some motherboards use two different brands of SATA controllers and, therefore, use two different drivers. If one of the drivers is not installed, any device plugged into it won't work. Could this be the case here?

I don't think so. Each drive works fine if connected on it's own. It's only if they are both connected at the same time that only one works. But maybe both drivers can't be loaded at the same time?

I'll be going to my dads later, I'll ask him anything you need me to.

Back