Ubuntu screen resolution too low

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukulika

Hi guys. Need a bit of help on this one.

I am using a dual boot system with Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron). Ever since my video card (nVidia XFX 7600 GT) conked out, I'm stuck at a screen resolution of 800x600. The only other option that is available is 640x480. Is it that the system requires a video card to push up resolution or am I yet to uninstall a particular driver? Can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Thanks guys. The major reason for me not to upgrade to the newer versions is that I have very limited downloads and an upgrade would mean no internet for a month, which would necessarily spell disaster for me! :blackeye:

I had applied compiz on my desktop. Needless to say, those effects aren't showing up too.

I shall hunt through the links that Mr. Leeky has mentioned and see if I can do something. Shall post right back as soon as something shows up. Thanks a lot for the help.

I must be missing something here. You must have a motherboard with integrated graphics, or you wouldn't even have video without a graphics card installed.

If this is so you need to switch the BIOS back to the onboard graphics, then use that driver to set screen resolution.

If this is the case, then you need the onboard graphics driver installed, as well as the Nvidia driver.

Yes, I have Asus P5GC-MX motherboard. After the graphics card stopped working, I switched over to the on board graphics and have also changed BIOS settings to the same. Windows works fine. I run it at 1152x768 @ 60 Hertz. Just that, Ubuntu refuses to allow me to get to a better resolution. I am offered no option to put the screen resolution higher than 800x600. The screen is really small and the letters the size of a well rounded football. Hence it's quite difficult to work on Ubuntu. I can't really figure out how to get out of this.

Thanks Cap'n. Appreciate the help. :)

The problem you're facing is that some monitors are not detected correctly by Ubuntu. I experienced this myself with an "early" version (6 or 7 I think), then a later distro seemed to cure the problem. My problem wasn't quite as dramatic, something like 1440 X 900 as opposed to 1680 X 1050.

It's hard to imagine a Linux CD download using up a months worth of bandwidth, but I suppose that different places have different rules. For a few dollars postage, you can request a Linux CD / DVD, should you want to try a later issue. The wait is a few weeks or so I've read.

Has the full version of the onboard graphics driver been installed, or did you go right to Nvidia?

You mention having Windows also, I've tried Linux, and other than perhaps being more secure, without any security software on the internet, it doesn't really have that much to lure me away from Windows. Not to mention dual boot is a pain.

The Linux CD download is about 699 MB. I get about 768 MB of downloads every month, which works fine with the kind of use that I put the internet to. So it'll be a little uncomfortable downloading 699 MB.

I do mostly work on Windows. Just kept Linux out of curiosity. I like the looks, and I like playing around with it. I have exhausted the free CD ordering limit and the one's I can buy come in packs of a minimum of 5 CDs, which make no sense really.

Has the full version of the onboard graphics driver been installed, or did you go right to Nvidia?
I have installed the full version of of the onboard graphics driver from Windows. I was told to uninstall the Nvidia drivers, since I can no longer use the video card. I don't know much about all this, so I could be wrong.

I get about 768 MB of downloads every month
Don't know if this will keep you under your download cap but http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=UXA
Intel have some more on the subject ( 2008-7-23 - 2.4.0 release? ) http://intellinuxgraphics.org/
Does it affect your movie viewing too? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/252094
By the time you check out all the information you might well have been better advised to download a more current version :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back