ugh XP reformatting help with older version on CD needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

sana

my PC has crashed several times this week with the dreaded Blue screen ... theres something called BAD_POOL_CALLER, then it starts a memory dump ...
its happened more frequently recently so i decided to reformat ... the next problem arises ... and i get this Message:

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered."
i them get 2 options: Cancel or Details . Under Details is this :

Issue Description:

To install the version on the CD, restart your computer, boot from this CD, and follow the instructions for a new installation.

Warning: The default setup options will replace your existing version of Windows with this version. If you wish to keep both versions you must select a new destination folder for this version of Windows. If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

i changed the Bios Boot frequency to boot from CD first ... and figured i would make sure and set floppy and HD to do the same .. i dont get any install options after this ... it takes me right back to windows and my desktop ... i have been at this for almost 8 hours today and im just dumfounded .. its never happened before .. is there any other way i can reformat my PC?

sorry for such a long winded post i guess the more info the better ...thank You for reading this far even ..

sana

What version

What version of windows do you have now? What version is on the cd? Give me a little more info.

XP Pro Full
sp1 with it

i have sp2 on my PC atm
heh i burned a copy in case i lost the original disk in transit( which i have LOL) and it worked perfectly that last umpteen times i have reformatted except today .. and im kinda desperate

thanks
sana

Have you tried system restore?

You can restore your pc to an earlier time when things were working properly.

Start
All Programs
Accessories
System Tools
System Restore

Try to restore to a date before you started getting the blue screen. See if that works

thank You for Your help ... theres no way the CD will copy into the file like that site says i keep getting .. cycle redundancy error message ...

seems the boot file is failing ...
the request is
boot atpi from disk?
i hit Y nothing happens ... no key does anything and then i get failure so either my CD is a dump of used nails or the CD drive is blasted @! LOL am i a lost cause?

would i be better of doing that 6 floppy drive bootable disk thingy?

thanx
sana

If your computer cannot make the Slipstreamed cd get a friend to make it on their machine . It is still your best answer and it doesn't matter, you have your own valid licence # correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back