UK regulator to investigate Apple's App Store ToC over alleged anticompetitive behavior

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: In the US Apple is currently embroiled in a high-profile case with Epic Games, but is also facing heat from the US Department of Justice, several state attorneys general, the House Judiciary's antitrust subcommittee, and several smaller lawsuits from developers. Now its name is beginning to pop up with UK and EU regulators over the exact same issues.

Regulators in the UK launched an antitrust probe against Apple on Thursday. Britain's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) says it is investigating allegations from several developers claiming the App Store's policies are "unfair." The CMA is looking into whether Apple's terms and conditions break any competition laws.

The complaints the CMA received are par for the course as conflicts between Apple and developers are concerned. Regulators said in a statement that they are concerned with Apple requiring app distribution through its App Store, then further forcing developers to use its payment system for in-app purchases at the cost of a 30-percent commission.

"The CMA’s investigation will consider whether Apple has a dominant position in connection with the distribution of apps on Apple devices in the UK – and, if so, whether Apple imposes unfair or anti-competitive terms on developers using the App Store, ultimately resulting in users having less choice or paying higher prices for apps and add-ons."

These complaints are exactly the same ones that Epic Games raised during its very public feud with the Cupertino powerhouse. Since last summer, that ugly battle has been dragging out in US courts, with both companies slinging mud at one another.

While the CMA stated that it has only just begun its investigation and has not come to any conclusion, Andrea Coscelli, Chief Executive of the CMA, was not afraid to share her feelings on the situation.

"Millions of us use apps every day to check the weather, play a game or order a takeaway," Coscelli said. " So, complaints that Apple is using its market position to set terms which are unfair or may restrict competition and choice – potentially causing customers to lose out when buying and using apps – warrant careful scrutiny."

The CMA's probe comes right on the heels of another UK regulator shutting down Epic Games calls to investigate Apple. Last month UK Competition Appeal Tribunal refused to consider virtually identical claims stating that it had no interest in looking into the matter until Epic settled its beef with Apple in the US.

Image credit: BigTunaOnline

Permalink to story.

In these situations I automatically side with Apple.

I already see the bigger picture: There are app developers who want to sidestep Apple's security protocols and have access to my personal data.

Apple ain't having it.

I will continue to support apple in both direct investment and indirect investment.

If you aren't ready to agree to Apple's Terms and Conditions then you ain't ready to run with the Apple. You can go back to designing for standard Androids. We will not miss you. We will not acquiesce. We will never compromise.

Good. As someone who's also had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with Apple's many draconian rules, I welcome having a better precedence set (for the benefit of both devs and consumers), assuming they don't go easy on them.
Welcome to the club.

I have said this many times over but repeating, I can barely use my iPad Pro, compared to my Pixel phone, since this cursed thing is locked tighter than a nuns legs.

I wish I could install RetroArch and many other things, but the Apple overlords prefer that I take my money somewhere else, since they cannot make money of those apps.

Luckily, Samsung new tablets looks great and all they need is a couple of ADB scripts to remove the bloat.

I posted this on the forums section a while ago, but would be nice a bit of recognition....

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the club.

I have said this many times over but repeating, I can barely use my iPad Pro, compared to my Pixel phone, since this cursed thing is locked tighter than a nuns legs.

I wish I could install RetroArch and many other things, but the Apple overlords prefer that I take my money somewhere else, since they cannot make money of those apps.

Luckily, Samsung new tablets looks great and all they need is a couple of ADB scripts to remove the bloat.

The first thing I did when I got my Samsung phone was removed the bloat with ADB.

Here we go again, more EU money grabbing for their broke-*** system.
It literally says UK and then Britain's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), so nothing EU about it.
We have this thing called market competition in the UK, you should try it :)

I really hope government officials don’t force Apple to open its operating system to any old company. Apple currently deliver a vastly superior experience to its competitor because of these tight rules and that’s the experience I want.

What annoys me is that users aren’t forced to buy Apple. And businesses aren’t forced to sell on Apple. But this business wants to ruin iOS for everyone so they can make a few percent more profit.

I really hope government officials don’t force Apple to open its operating system to any old company. Apple currently deliver a vastly superior experience to its competitor because of these tight rules and that’s the experience I want.

What annoys me is that users aren’t forced to buy Apple. And businesses aren’t forced to sell on Apple. But this business wants to ruin iOS for everyone so they can make a few percent more profit.

Stockholm syndrome

NOUN
Stockholm syndrome (noun)

Feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.

If microsoft and epic games can't advertise their products in apples ecosystem then apple should be sued to oblivion!!!

Stockholm syndrome

NOUN
Stockholm syndrome (noun)

Feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.
Trolling again? Come on dude. I mean what are you suggesting? Leave Apple and go to Android? Yeah that would be a monumental downgrade..

Trolling again? Come on dude. I mean what are you suggesting? Leave Apple and go to Android? Yeah that would be a monumental downgrade..
One thing is appreciating the strength and virtues of a product and another is turning a blind eye to its shortcomings because of blind loyalty or in this case, Stockholm syndrome.

What you can a "monumental downgrade" is an "exponential upgrade" moving from iOS locked down hell (my iPad Pro) to my Pixel or when I simple have enough of this and get a Samsung tablet.

Edit And by the way, I have multiple Macs at home and work. Being using Apple since the Apple][ days and currently, a JAMF engineer.

One thing is appreciating the strength and virtues of a product and another is turning a blind eye to its shortcomings because of blind loyalty or in this case, Stockholm syndrome.

What you can a "monumental downgrade" is an "exponential upgrade" moving from iOS locked down hell (my iPad Pro) to my Pixel or when I simple have enough of this and get a Samsung tablet.
Ah you see Stockholm syndrome does not apply here then. As Apples strengths are quantifiable even to those who dont own an iPhone. They are faster, more secure, have better app support and the devices themselves are supported for far longer. These are tangible benefits that people agree are good things whether you are “tainted” by Apple ownership or not. Also last time I checked, owning an iPhone does not make it impossible to buy a Samsung tablet. But that Samsung tablet would not give you as much integration with your phone as an iPad would. But that’s the case with android phones already. You can’t turn on your Samsung phones wifi hotspot on the menu on your Samsung tablet for example.

Just out of curiosity, when you’re not playing fortnite on a tiny touchscreen, what else do you do on a pixel that you can’t do on an iPhone?

Ah you see Stockholm syndrome does not apply here then. As Apples strengths are quantifiable even to those who dont own an iPhone. They are faster, more secure, have better app support and the devices themselves are supported for far longer. These are tangible benefits that people agree are good things whether you are “tainted” by Apple ownership or not. Also last time I checked, owning an iPhone does not make it impossible to buy a Samsung tablet. But that Samsung tablet would not give you as much integration with your phone as an iPad would. But that’s the case with android phones already. You can’t turn on your Samsung phones wifi hotspot on the menu on your Samsung tablet for example.

Just out of curiosity, when you’re not playing fortnite on a tiny touchscreen, what else do you do on a pixel that you can’t do on an iPhone?
Wont respond to everything, because its clear where you stand.

But do me a favor, go and install RetroArch and Kodi on your iPhone.

Make sure to do so from the App store...

Wont respond to everything, because its clear where you stand.

But do me a favor, go and install RetroArch and Kodi on your iPhone.

Make sure to do so from the App store...
Lmao, so you think people should give up longer support, significantly faster performance, higher reliability, more app compatibility etc just so they can side-load games emulators?

Also I should point out that you can still install emulators onto an iPhone by jailbreaking them. And side loading apps on a pixel will absolutely void its warranty as the pixel and most Android devices are actually just as locked down as iOS. The only difference being the work around is easier on Android.

Outside of “illegal” mobile gaming and fortnite. What do people do on an Pixel that they can’t do on a iPhone?

Ironically however, one of my most played games ever was initially exclusive to iOS for months before it became available on Android - Civilisation VI. Although I barely play it.

Back